British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a rcs colony set up in a six gallon fluval edge. I've got some basic plants set up - mostly Java moss, flame moss and some elodea. Does anyone use flourish in thier shrimp tanks? If there is any risk to the shrimp I won't bother using it.

Also, I see online advertised a lot of "mineral" rocks for shrimp. I've also seen some mineral water additives designed for shrimp, with our lower mainland water is it necessary? The shrimp I have seem to be molting fine on thier own.

Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well quite a few of my RCS seem to have berried and are molting .... so I'm not going to complicate things and keep things as is for now. It seems to be working. Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you're ever worried about soft water, you can always buy some crushed coral. The mineral rocks apparently help, I was wondering the same thing about them. I think if I was going to bother, I'd just add some crushed coral to bump up the mineral content.

Oh and flourish is fine to use in a shrimp tank.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but I have heard flourish will melt your moss?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My first rcs babies hatched today! I'm going to hold off on mineral balls and flourish since things seem to be going well and I don't want to introduce any new variables.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I use salty shrimp GH/KH+ for RCS because Burnaby has really soft water. (the GH test kit pretty much change color after 1 drop of tester.) Softwater will cause molting problem unless you provide calcium rich diet.

I don't think you need to dose flourish because none of your plants are high demanding plats.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I use salty shrimp GH/KH+ for RCS because Burnaby has really soft water. (the GH test kit pretty much change color after 1 drop of tester.) Softwater will cause molting problem unless you provide calcium rich diet.

I don't think you need to dose flourish because none of your plants are high demanding plats.
Most of the GVA has soft water Richmond, Vancouver, Burnaby, West Minister, Surrey etc it's just really pure you don't even need RO water for shrimp/discus here.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another update - second batch of cherries hatched. The earlier batch are getting bigger and have started to color up red now! I've stopped feeding the baby shrimp powder food as it resulted in an explosion of planeria and hydra.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another update - second batch of cherries hatched. The earlier batch are getting bigger and have started to color up red now! I've stopped feeding the baby shrimp powder food as it resulted in an explosion of planeria and hydra.
At one point planaria gave me a bad headache. I have sucked up at least 200lish planarias using a siphon. After that I dropped the No planaria bomb. It took me a long time to get my shrimp tank to recover...

How often do you feed them? If I were you... I will stop feeding them as long you have live plants in your tank. Maybe once a week only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts