British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was suppose to pick up a breeding pair of discus but it was not meant to be but for good reasons. So I was a little disappointed and was looking to get a breeding pair from the states .Well when i got home for getting live black worms tonight .I found a lovely surprise . I found eggs on the intake pipe of my filter. Here are a few pictures..

·
Registered
485 Posts
Nice!!! I will get to try my tiny non filtered tank experiment yet!!!! I'm so excited for you!
Is it the red cover and the red with pearls do you figure?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice!!! I will get to try my tiny non filtered tank experiment yet!!!! I'm so excited for you!
Is it the red cover and the red with pearls do you figure?
It the red cover and the ogon yellow/orange are the parents. the only problems tomorow is water change day. I hope they make it till the morning..

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
WOW! That's amazing!

And also... one a bad place for the fry's to hatch o_O" i hope you can shut off the filter for now.. it looks like a deadly spot if they get sucked in!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW! That's amazing!

And also... one a bad place for the fry's to hatch o_O" i hope you can shut off the filter for now.. it looks like a deadly spot if they get sucked in!
yes it is but the eggs won't last long they will be gone by the morning. The other discus will get to it .. I will move the pair in to their own tank tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
not necessarily. the eggs may well still be there. i have actually had a pair of angels raise eggs to fry in a community tank. also i have successfuly moved a pair from a community tank along with the filter they laid the eggs on to another tank and had them resume care of the eggs and raise them to fry.

congrats.

·
Registered
530 Posts
yes it is but the eggs won't last long they will be gone by the morning. The other discus will get to it .. I will move the pair in to their own tank tomorrow.
Congrat & have fun, Dave !!!!!

Now that they are motivated, they need to be in a separate breeding environment, so putting them in their own tank will definitely encourage their breeding process. The female will continue to lay eggs and you will know if the male is fertile, if the eggs hatch. The couples will take many runs before they get experience. I still enjoy watching the whole process but be prepared for constant daily water change for a long long time.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Congrats. That red cover is really nice looking with the blue halo. Should be interesting to see what the fry look like if they get to that stage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts