British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15 gallon red cherry shrimp tank ... sponge filter ran in 30 gallon for a month then put in 15 gallon ... cycled 15 gallon for two months, added 10 test shrimp, two weeks later added 40 ... tank has aqua soil substrate, live plants only, a piece of driftwood, water parameters consistently ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates less than 10 ... every time i do a water change the next morning i see a dead one ... it has happened three times now ... i have tried leaving pails of water sitting out for a week (still used dechlorinator), i have used water right from the tap with dechlorinator and i have tried just filling up the evaporation with dechlorinated water ... am i doing something wrong ... there are a kazillion babies too ... and i might have a snail situation ... any suggestions ???

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I'm not a shrimp guy but maybe you were changing the water to fast?
When my friend purchased a shrimp from a member, he was doing water change by using air tubes (sucking the other end and letting it flow to the tank. So I'm guessing you need to do it slow?

But that's just what I saw. Like I said I'm not a shrimp person. Maybe someone can confirm or not :D

Clint.

·
Registered
549 Posts
red cherry shrimp are pretty tough shrimp.... I find them in my canister filter alive all the time. And they breed like crazy. The only question I have is are you giving them calcium in any way. In other words what is you GH @?

When I do water changes it's straight from the tap with a hose. Then buffer the KH and the GH.... I've never noticed any shrimp loss.... they are becoming a pest...

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do have a test kit for GH but i have never used it, i will have to dig it out ... i am not giving them calcium but there is a piece of coral in the tank ... i do have liquid calcium for my snail tank, would that be the type of calcium you are referring to ?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah that's the stuff... Or any calcium buffer / GH buffer.... GH is calcium and magnessium.... I bet if you dig that test out and test you'll find you GH is low... What are you feeding your little shrimpies too?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i alternate algae wafers and some fancy shrimp food, i want to call it shakira but i am pretty sure that is a pop singer, but it sounds like that

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with respect, Scholz, it is after midnight and i know exactly where the kit is ... it is in a very crammed closet which will take a bit of digging ... i will post tomorrow ... maybe when you are on next, check this question and i will post it :) i appreciate your help ...

·
Registered
96 Posts
check for copper when you get the chance. I've tested water for a lot of people where I work, and a good number of them have noticeable levels of it. I doubt it's a problem regardless. Yes do check your gH. Vancouver water is no higher than 15-20 ppm and often lower.

I wasn't sure if you mentioned it earlier, but how much water are you changing weekly? Like someone mentioned earlier, I wonder if there is a pH shock associated with it.

Hope things turn out for the best :)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay, i checked the GH ... the test was kinda confusing ... it said add 1 drop and the water turns pink ... then add another drop and shake, continuing to do so until the water turns blue ... then it says multiple drops by 20 to get the GH ... now is that how many drops i added after the first drop to turn it pink or all drops in total ... i am going with 3 drops in total which includes the first drop which would mean a GH of 60 which is soft ... what are the implications of that ... does that mean i add the liquid calcium, how much, how often ??? and the pH from my tap is in the 7's and the shrimp tank is in the 6's ... i do about 20% per week, one week i just filled up evaporation ... i appreciate any suggestions :O) ... and if it is a pH issue, how do i change the pH of tap water to match the pH of the shrimps ???

·
Registered
700 Posts
My Gh is at 45 in my shrimp tanks so you should be fine

·
Registered
592 Posts
Rather than trying to match the pH of your tap water to match of your tank, it may be that your tank's KH value is not high enough, so your system does not have any buffering capacity against any sort of pH fluctuation.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I wouldn't jump on what to add to the tank if you have a very soft water reading. Its common in vancouver to have a KH and GH that is next to nothing. To raise both it doesn't take much work to do it, the cheapest most effective way is a tiny mesh bag of crushed coral in your filter, it'll raise your hardness very slowly, and you'll only have dips during the water change0

. How much? well i recommend starting with very little, my 29 gallon uses a mesh bag of roughly 1 cup of crushed coral in an xp1 cannister. The KH and GH are almost equal at 100-120 mg/L, which gives excellent buffer capacity and eliminates the need to add baking soda or gh booster. i have yet to lose a fish during a 50% water change, or even a shrimp. It'll also keep your PH at around 6.8-7.0 rarely deviating from that.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i only have a sponge filter but i will get some crushed coral ... could i just have it in the tank or does it have to be in a bag or something ?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
if you can get a mesh bag in the tank hidden near the sponge filter it'll do the same, just not as efficiently. Probably easier to maintain this way too :D a plus is it'll allow for more beneficial bacteria to colonize the tank

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i am getting some tomorrow ... thanks for everyone's help ... i can not stand death in my tanks !!! my brother was like, it is just three shrimps, but i don't look at it that way ... what does he know, he owns nothing alive :O)

·
Registered
743 Posts
I wouldn't jump on what to add to the tank if you have a very soft water reading. Its common in vancouver to have a KH and GH that is next to nothing. To raise both it doesn't take much work to do it, the cheapest most effective way is a tiny mesh bag of crushed coral in your filter, it'll raise your hardness very slowly, and you'll only have dips during the water change0

. How much? well i recommend starting with very little, my 29 gallon uses a mesh bag of roughly 1 cup of crushed coral in an xp1 cannister. The KH and GH are almost equal at 100-120 mg/L, which gives excellent buffer capacity and eliminates the need to add baking soda or gh booster. i have yet to lose a fish during a 50% water change, or even a shrimp. It'll also keep your PH at around 6.8-7.0 rarely deviating from that.
I just used to add a tablespoon about once a month to my 10 gallon shrimp tank. I had very similar gh and kh to Nevin and ph stayed solid also. I had so many they became weekly snack treats for my cichlids.
I think they have a relatively short lifespan if I remeber correctly. Could old age be a factor?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts