British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so im very very new to the hobby and my interest are goldfish. i am pretty young and dont have loads of cash to fork over for tanks and supplies. i was wondering if anyone knew what the best way to find cheap tanks. i would love to get at least a 40 gallon breeder tank and a 50-75 gallon display tank. i currently have a 20 gallon tank a oranda and a common goldfish. for the orands the 20 gallon will probably be its permanent home but the common will probably end up in a pond or tub. i want to eventually breed goldfish but for now i want to practice keeping them. i really like ranchu's, pearl scale's, and dragon eye's. so if anyone could help me find tanks and other gear i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welcome to BCA - The best way to find cheap tanks and equipment is to just keep your eye out on BCA. Members are always looking to sell their good quality equipment at fair prices. If there is something specific you are looking for you can also post on classifieds and if someone has what you are looking for they'll let you know.

Just be patient (if you can) and you'll be able to piece together your breeder and display tank at good prices :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Welcome to BCA! Since you want to keep fancy goldfish the smallest tank I'd recommend to keep a fair amount is probably a 120G it has the same length as a 75G but 25" tall/wide I believe. The general rule for fancy goldfish is 30G for one then 10G after per each so you would be able to keep around 10 fancy goldfish. If you want to keep more I recommend just getting a pond but I think you want it for a nice display tank specifically.

·
Registered
174 Posts
if you have the time/transport, you can go to petco during their $1/gallon sale. however i'm not sure if it's worth it anymore due to the fall of CAD. but like khiyasu said, the classified section is your best bet! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
There's also a guy on here who bought a bunch at the auction. He posted I cpassifiesd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Definitely Fish addicts and Rogers have some new tanks for sale in the 40g range... if you want to get a full setup ie) stand/cover/heater/lights etc. it will be much cheaper to get from another BCA member but you will need to be patient. CL also has a bunch of adds and patience may be needed there also to find the "perfect" setup.
Cheers and finsup !
R

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Breeding goldfish mostly happens in large specially designed ponds, rather than in aquariums. Even if you wanted to breed in a tank, you would require a very large tank to see any breeding action, most likely.

Anthony

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the responses. im really enjoying fish keeping and am looking forward to expanding as soon as i can :)

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I sometimes get fish tanks turned in . I give them
For very cheap to younger fish keepers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts