British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am afraid the holes on the intake are too big for baby endlers and small wild cherry shrimps, so I covered it with a piece of a net till I find a better solution.
Do you recommend to put a sponge or something like that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
With just a net, you'll still get debris build up like a sponge prefilter so why not got the little bit extra and benefit from the extra biological filtration it'll provide. if you go for a fine sponge, the build up will be easier to see, but the fry will have a place to pick food from. If you go coarse, it'll not need to be squeezed as often

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, that is the usual approach with that kind of filters then. I knew there should be a better way :) And it is not safe to just leave it open, right?

Thanks a lot, neven, for the late night responses.
Let's go to bed now :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have neons and probably danios there. But shrimps and endlers hopefully will continue to have babies, so... I am getting a fine sponge on Saturday :)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Hi, Infrared Dream,
a prefilter will stop snails from getting caught and sucked out of their shells; that alone is a good reason to use them:)
what neven said about clogging is true. for example, when I was using a sponge (generic aqua clear replacement filter from Island Pets) in my gertrudae tank, it would clog within 3 days. Now I use a plastic pot scrubber as the prefilter, needs to be rinsed out every 7 or 8 days. It's quite a difference spread out over a number of tanks,
I do see young blueberry shrimp feeding on the filter, along with everybody else in the tank. No noticeable difference in fry rates, either.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I put aquaclear sponge on all my filter intakes. Saves lots of time on filter cleans, adds extra biological filtration and gives the plecos something to snack on.
Even my big Rena gets them.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Good idea storm :)

Hi, Infrared Dream,
a prefilter will stop snails from getting caught and sucked out of their shells; that alone is a good reason to use them:)
what neven said about clogging is true. for example, when I was using a sponge (generic aqua clear replacement filter from Island Pets) in my gertrudae tank, it would clog within 3 days. Now I use a plastic pot scrubber as the prefilter, needs to be rinsed out every 7 or 8 days. It's quite a difference spread out over a number of tanks,
I do see young blueberry shrimp feeding on the filter, along with everybody else in the tank. No noticeable difference in fry rates, either.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Storm, I used something like that for a couple of days :) It looks like a net, but is plastic part of a bag. Was working well these 2 days :)
But I just went to the pet store on my way home and got a Fluval prefilter sponge that fits perfectly. Two shrimpies got on it within minutes :)

Thanks everybody for the advices and ideas!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Baby endlers are quite big compared to other fry and they're also strong swimmers. They would likely do fine without a sponge on an AC filter, especially after the first couple of days or so. Baby shrimp would be sucked up and so would many other kinds of fry.

You can get a Fluval Edge sponge for about $5.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts