British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone customized their own fish tank? how much was the cost? and what supplies do you need for cutting, gluing, and the type of plexi-glass used? I've been thinking of making my own.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Really depends on size as acrylic is pricey. Smaller prefabbed ones will be hard to beat. Check out MFK as lots of guys have built their own monster tanks.

·
Super Moderator
453 Posts
Melevsreef.com | Tools I Use

This guy makes gorgeous acrylic sumps. Making an aquarium is no different with acrylic.

Putting acrylic together is easy. All you need is the right Weld-On formulation for solvent welding. Getting everything watertight and looking professional, however, takes quite a bit of practice and the right tools. You pretty much have to invest as much time, effort and money as you would into any other hobby to get really good at it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If cost is not your concern then you can try. What I don't like about acrylic is that it is no room for error and the cutting have to be perfect as well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
As others have said, if its not a cost consideration it would be a fun project. There would definitely be savings if you were building a huge tank. Only issue for me would be the quality of the end product if I've never done this before. Good luck and have fun if you plan on doing it and keep us updated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts