British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you guys buy acrylic tanks? Do any local fish stores sell them? In the 75-125 gallon range?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Where do you guys buy acrylic tanks? Do any local fish stores sell them? In the 75-125 gallon range?
I'm not sure but Rogers Aquatics in Surrey has the largest variety of tanks in store that I've seen - you can give them a call to find out.

Paul's Aquarium in Surrey has a decent variety of tanks as well.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Roger's is great, but King Ed's is 'King' for a reason! Easily the best for in stock tank selection. Not sure about how much selection they have for acrylic tanks though.......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Please let us know if you find something reasonably priced. I am looking as well. I got some quotes for custom acrylic tanks but they were WAY too pricey.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes acrylic is pricey.... It's also light as hell and you can buff out and scratches and also if you want to customize the tank it's very easy to just drill a hole through it where as glass has to be tempered and can be harder to cut out...glass is heavy and can't be fixed to much with scratches( not sure if there is a fish safe scratch filler)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Archer's Plastics in Port Moody. No cheap way of getting acrylics besides used, acrylics is 2-3x the cost of a glass tank new. In order to price acrylic tanks "cheaper", they have to make enough tanks to maximize the use of acrylic sheets. Unfortunately, we don't have a local company who does that.

I have done a fair amount of research in the past couple weeks or so as I am in the market for a 240+ gallon acrylic tank. For me, quality is a must. Once its in my house, it not moving again (unless I get out of the hobby) and I don't want it to ever fail. Used acrylic tank is a gamble like anything used, although very small percentage of it failing if you know what to look for. Joint failure was my biggest concern but with the size I am looking to get, I am willing to pay for a peace of mind.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Contact tru vu and pick up on other side of border. My friend just for a 180 . He had one for 30 years and my first tru vu is now 18 years old. No hazing, no yellowing and no checker cracks.
Can't be beat for quality.
The reason no distributor in Canada is because the person who used to bring them up years ago ripped them off so no
More since.
Not all acrylic is equal . Some yellows or cracks etc or warps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,307 Posts
I can attest to Tru-Vu quality as well. TI believe the person who used to bring them up has since passed. April..... Now you can be a distributor :)!

Respectfully,

Stuart

Tankless in Vancouver

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone ever use a Sea Clear acrylic tank and want to attest to their quality? I have 3 of them, all around 26G or so and have no complaints. But I am shopping for a 125G and not sure if the 3/8" acrylic they use is good enough as I see other brands in the same size range are using 1/2".

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Call tru vu my friend got a great deal on 180 gallon. A lot cheaper than that!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I saw from their website that a 100 gallon is around $650 US, so even with the crappy dollar its a much better deal.

Only reason I am thinking acrylic is it weighs less to get down our basement stairs lol!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I love acrylic for the unbeatable clarity and impact resistance (important for me with little kids around). Also, I think with our little earthquake back in December, the acrylic tanks should be much better suited to handle the jostling than glass. They are pretty well bulletproof if properly constructed. Major downside would be scratches. That being said, I've seen many glass tanks that get scratched up too. Lightweight is nice for moving.

I would suggest April's route if you really want a large acrylic tank. As you said, even with FX, we are likely still way ahead by ordering from the US. Just gotta pick up.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Well a group order is the way to go but then need an import permit.
I do t like lifting and no room to hold so I'm out.
So best to order what you want and pickup.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts