British Columbia Aquariums banner

21 - 40 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Decided to rescape my 60P last night. More work is needed (additional small/branchy wood near the bottom for root-y effects, some more rocks, changing the plants) but I just wanted to highlight how often I've changed my mind. It was a lot of work but definitely worth it. I tried to move all my pygmy cories.... However one somehow evaded my detection and was schooling in my face lol ==. Only noticed him when I took the photo.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Decided to rescape my 60P last night. More work is needed (additional small/branchy wood near the bottom for root-y effects, some more rocks, changing the plants) but I just wanted to highlight how often I've changed my mind. It was a lot of work but definitely worth it. I tried to move all my pygmy cories.... However one somehow evaded my detection and was schooling in my face lol ==. Only noticed him when I took the photo.

Funny, how scapes just keep getting better every time you change it up. Looking great!! I like the central hardscape set up over what you had before. Looks much cleaner. Still not sure about the front right side...

Reactions: Dou

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Funny, how scapes just keep getting better every time you change it up. Looking great!! I like the central hardscape set up over what you had before. Looks much cleaner. Still not sure about the front right side...
Thank you! Your tips/advice has been spot on so if you have any more suggestions please let me know =). Right side - I'm working on it haha... that piece needs to grow in and I think it will match much more. I intend to maintain/trim that one so it's a bit thinner than the rest so it should contrast well too. I think if I can also find the right pieces of small branches to fit underneath my larger pieces of spiderwood, it will give the bottom a much fuller, "root"-ier and natural look which will help.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Remove/added plants, added slopes and swapped out the green neons for threadfin rainbows. If anyone is wondering where I get most of my plants/fish - it would be from April's =). Special thanks to her for always bringing in so many nano fish and plants!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
They look happy. Hope this colour is
More
Pleasing! 8 green neons were sold
To their new home
Today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I like the bushiness of the new plants. Hopefully they stay nice and compact for you...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Update on the 45P - the koke stones didn't look quite right - a bit too dull. So I took a toothbrush and diluted bleach water to it - and I think it went back to its original form. Also ended up spending 3 more hours than I intended to rescape since I pulled out a lot of my carpet.

Also quick update on my 60P - moss starting to grow in... will need about 2 more months I think for it to become what I want it to be. Also @MDT - the ? plant is called "Eichhornia Diversifolia". It grows super fast...

And also my 30W in a kallax cubbie... this might've been not the greatest idea to have tanks in a small enclosed space. It's really hard to work in there... so I stuck with something simple. There's no CO2, so I'm crossing my fingers that it does not die but carpets super slow...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update on the 60P... Replaced the stem plants on the right side with Lilaeopsis & added in some more stones on the right to add contrast/remove some of the negative space from the glass. The moss on the right is starting to grow in =)!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
At last.. an update on my MiniM. I did a complete overhaul... The goal was to mimic the natural setting of wild bee shrimp in Taiwan/China. I saw that a lot of habitats they were found in basically consisted of still water with lots of leaves/foliage on the bottom. The rocks also gave off more of a warm feeling. Once my ammonia spike from the Amazonia is over, I'm looking to add wild crystal black shrimp or low-grade CBS.

- Removed the Ryuoh stone before that was messing with my pH
- Removed Tropica soil (buffers to 7.2 pH)
- Sold off plants that were not being used
- Added Sado Akadama stone
- Added Amazonia (buffer pH to 6-6.6 zone)
- Added in Bolbitis, Larger Buces
- Added cut up Indian Almond Leaves, Dried bamboo leaves found at the local park
- Planted what's left of my glossostigma that was dying.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Another update on the 60P. Added in some red plants (myriophyllum tuberculatum) on the left, removed the old diversifolia, removed the monte carlo carpet on the right, added in more stones.

And an update on the 45P. Moved the sparrow rasbora into this tank, added RCS. This used to be the badis badis home... but he was preventing any cleaning action from occurring so he has since been moved. He's on the FS section - if you want him please let me know!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Just received my wild crystal black shrimp today from SKA =). Really happy with how they look - they blend into the environment quite well which gives me the feeling that they really belong in here haha. They are really doing some heavy duty cleaning and they especially like the bolbitis and the prefilter. When I was taking the photo only one of them was out in the open. I also have a fan running to make sure water is kept around 24 degrees.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Update on the 60P - I just didn't quite like the look of a brown/red plant in this tank... so I ended up removing the M. Tuberculatum. I think it was clashing with the sand, it wasn't working and I just shouldn't be adding red plants for the sake of adding red plants. After removing it, I wanted to add more levels to the scape - so I added bolbitis to the right... Also I'm in love with the plant and there was a sale at April's haha. I think I'm finally satisfied with what's in there & going to keep things as is for now + let things grow in a bit more. I will be taking it down in September so hopefully things fill in in time.

And another photo of the wild CBS. Finally got my GF to show me how to switch camera lens and after many tries I got a clear photo... My hands are not steady at all haha.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Looks great! But why take it down in September?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is a contest I want to enter where the cutoff date is in September so I was planning to grow it until then. I also want to try another idea - need to get more experience haha. I'll be back at your shop hunting for stuff for my ideas...

Photo Updates:

60P
- Moved some of my bolbitis around, it was dying off a bit but now its recovering!
- Rearranged some pieces of wood to add a more "root"-y feeling, looking for more...
- Tied some mini pellia to pebbles to see if I can grow some small bushes in the sand

Mini-M
- Non CO2 tank + all slow growing plants so there isn't too much growth
- What little glossostigma I planted pretty much all died off =[
- Found a berried wild crystal black shrimp!

45P
- It will be taken down... soon... just not happy with Koke stones.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nice use of ADA Aquasoil. Hopefully your journal helps educate forum members.
Thank you, one day when I have more time I will definitely try to do aquascapes with "dirt" and see how that goes.

Onto my main update - I redid the 60P bottom right section. I received comments that it would better flow if sand was followed through all across the bottom - so I spent about 4 hours (2 of which was me regretting what I did) redoing it. This really was my first aquascape/tank with CO2 and whatnot, so a lot of this time was spent testing and just going with what looked "nice". Even though it looks "nice" I'm finding that it doesn't look super natural. I also did a trim... It looks more "polished" now but I think I liked how it was before. I think once it grows in and looks more wild I'll be more happy with it - 4 weeks left to go before it goes down! Hopefully it grows enough in time.

21 - 40 of 151 Posts