·
Registered
410 Posts
really like the scape. looks great.

Reactions: Dou

·
Registered
304 Posts
Amazing tank arrangements! You should be very proud of yourself ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do you do manual water top offs each day? I'd think you get a lot of evaporation. I have a Fluval Chi and I am topping up at least three times a day just to keep the water parameters stable.

Cheers,
Sean

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Do you do manual water top offs each day? I'd think you get a lot of evaporation. I have a Fluval Chi and I am topping up at least three times a day just to keep the water parameters stable.

Cheers,
Sean
Yeah my MiniM I have to put back like 750mL of water each day... I think it will be fine once the weather cools down (and I can remove the fan blowing on it).

·
Registered
214 Posts
I ordered a couple small float valves from China that I am looking forward to arriving. I plan to make a HOB auto top off gravity fed system for my Sulawesi tank. I need to find some acrylic so I can make the HOB and the gravity fed reservoir. I have the science down, just need the parts to make the system.
Cant wait for the day when I can rely on just filling a reservoir every few days rather than constant daily top ups.

Cheers,
Sean

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I ordered a couple small float valves from China that I am looking forward to arriving. I plan to make a HOB auto top off gravity fed system for my Sulawesi tank. I need to find some acrylic so I can make the HOB and the gravity fed reservoir. I have the science down, just need the parts to make the system.
Cant wait for the day when I can rely on just filling a reservoir every few days rather than constant daily top ups.

Cheers,
Sean
Please document/share if you have some time! That sounds like an amazing idea...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I most certainly will. I know there are systems out there already but they are super expensive. A DIY unit doesn't have to look pretty to be functional.

Cheers,
Sean

·
Registered
636 Posts
You've got a very unique and beautiful style to your nature aquariums, Dou! It's been fun watching the progression / re-scape / flora & fauna decisions in these 2 tanks.

How is the progress with your Brio 35? I just recently picked one up from AW and plan to keep it low tech, that's why I'm wondering.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
You've got a very unique and beautiful style to your nature aquariums, Dou! It's been fun watching the progression / re-scape / flora & fauna decisions in these 2 tanks.

How is the progress with your Brio 35? I just recently picked one up from AW and plan to keep it low tech, that's why I'm wondering.
Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words as I put in a lot of hours/effort into making something pleasing to the eyes.

I actually re-did my brio... I'm redoing everything haha. Yes! I think low-tech is a good choice but I am actually going with pressurized CO2 this time around (as it's in the living room so it's gotta be beautiful). The right side I gave up on growing herbs and whatnot, it just didn't work very well (maybe I just suck at it...). And ended up filling it with substrate to do an iwagumi-type scape. Essentially I am trying to do a water to land seamless transition - I will take a photo once I plant it!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words as I put in a lot of hours/effort into making something pleasing to the eyes.

I actually re-did my brio... I'm redoing everything haha. Yes! I think low-tech is a good choice but I am actually going with pressurized CO2 this time around (as it's in the living room so it's gotta be beautiful). The right side I gave up on growing herbs and whatnot, it just didn't work very well (maybe I just suck at it...). And ended up filling it with substrate to do an iwagumi-type scape. Essentially I am trying to do a water to land seamless transition - I will take a photo once I plant it!
Hahaha! Well as we learn, so we should test, right? Redoing and watching the grow out is the funnest part ;). The right side is perfect for wabi kusa style immersed growing! Off the top of my head, I think the only challenge is to get the substrate height right to match the flow and humidity of your room. If it's too wet, algae can still form in the substrate bed. Shouldn't be a big problem, overall it's a nice simple gravity flow through design. You could totally use AS or even a good cation exchange substrate like eco complete to get the nutrients soaking through. Oh and I don't like that they gave 2 pink floral bulbs in the stock package. Doesn't show off the colors on the right side at all. I wonder if you plan to change the bulbs to get better growth? In my mind HC and glosso immersed grown would look gorgeous there with other stem plants. Hope you post pictures every now and then on the progress.

I assembled the brio today right beside the window in my living room because it was the only spot for it to be a display tank. I live in a condo on the 20th floor so i really want to try running on mostly solar with a short LED on period. So scared of a GDA/GSA outbreak but hopefully it will be fine now that daylight is shortening :/ Just gonna pack it with a lot of fast growing stuff and keep the ferts stable. Gonna start with some perennial flowering plants on the right side. Will do a journal once it's up and running. Maybe not, if I fail LOL!

I'm surprised the Brio isn't more popular here especially since they're Montreal-based. I really wanted the brio 250 but there's no release date yet for it. The 35 was a huge hit in Japan when I visited recently. The price turns off a lot of folks, I guess. For the same price you could get a much bigger setup or even a full ADA package (without the stand). It's such a nice tank for plant-heads, though. I don't think it will be long before Fluval or ADA come out with their own version of a plug and play aquaponics product.

Good luck! Keep up the great work! I'm subscribed to you :).

Aaron

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hahaha! Well as we learn, so we should test, right? Redoing and watching the grow out is the funnest part ;). The right side is perfect for wabi kusa style immersed growing! Off the top of my head, I think the only challenge is to get the substrate height right to match the flow and humidity of your room. If it's too wet, algae can still form in the substrate bed. Shouldn't be a big problem, overall it's a nice simple gravity flow through design. You could totally use AS or even a good cation exchange substrate like eco complete to get the nutrients soaking through. Oh and I don't like that they gave 2 pink floral bulbs in the stock package. Doesn't show off the colors on the right side at all. I wonder if you plan to change the bulbs to get better growth? In my mind HC and glosso immersed grown would look gorgeous there with other stem plants. Hope you post pictures every now and then on the progress.
That's actually what I did! I added in amazonia to the right with some foam to block it from clogging up the holes where the water funnels back down. I am planning to do DHG mini both on the inside and the outside. Outside already has DHG and Acmella Repens from Reckon. Actually, I just replaced the 2 pink floral bulbs yesterday. I got a package of 10x 6500k 6W GU12 lights - if you want to replace yours just let me know! I will post pictures once I plant it... but am waiting for plants in come in at Aprils. I also am needing to go get a CO2 tank hydrotested and refilled too... but the only place that I find convenient to go to is ACME but they are only open during my working hours............ So I gotta figure it out haha.

I assembled the brio today right beside the window in my living room because it was the only spot for it to be a display tank. I live in a condo on the 20th floor so i really want to try running on mostly solar with a short LED on period. So scared of a GDA/GSA outbreak but hopefully it will be fine now that daylight is shortening :/ Just gonna pack it with a lot of fast growing stuff and keep the ferts stable. Gonna start with some perennial flowering plants on the right side. Will do a journal once it's up and running. Maybe not, if I fail LOL!
Ah... in the summer time you gotta be careful. Mine is in the living room too and it gets all the ambient light from the sun and caused a huge algae problem for me =[... which caused me pain and suffering and I decided to start over again because of all the problems I had. I tried to do some flowers on the right side as well but I was worried about the potting soil or whatnot circulating dirt around. Am I just being paranoid or is it okay? Do a journal! It would be cool to see what your vision for it is!

I'm surprised the Brio isn't more popular here especially since they're Montreal-based. I really wanted the brio 250 but there's no release date yet for it. The 35 was a huge hit in Japan when I visited recently. The price turns off a lot of folks, I guess. For the same price you could get a much bigger setup or even a full ADA package (without the stand). It's such a nice tank for plant-heads, though. I don't think it will be long before Fluval or ADA come out with their own version of a plug and play aquaponics product.
Canada/America is always a little behind on everything so I'm not surprised haha. The 250 does look amazing! But since I only have so much space in a Condo... and the rules are <30G anyway =(. I think one of the biggest issues is the aquarium itself - it's not easy to scape. The vertical nature of it requires either some very simplistic aquascaping or some integrated idea that takes both sides into account. At times I regret buying it to be honest, but it was my first tank and I'm determined to make it awesome now.

Anddddd.... a photo of the re-scaped 60P. I re-used as much as I could and added in Sirion Buce that I've been hoarding due to a sale but haven't found a good use for. I find Buce really difficult to integrate into tanks especially since they are so colourful, it almost feels like most of them belong in a single buce-species only tank with stones that will help the shine. Anyway, half of it died and the other half I put into the tank... Sirion is pretty much a brighter pale green if that makes any sense - which works for me. I'm crossing my fingers that they flourish - they don't have to grow but just praying they don't die. The tank got rid of the ammonia spike way faster than expected! 0.25 reading the next day, WC, 0 ammonia today and a WC, and in the choco gouramis went =D. Unfortunately my holding tank for them had a hob filter which did not allow me to cover all of the openings, and one female jumped before she could join her new home (so sad =(...) I think I spooked it when I turned on the lights and I had to jump on a work call so I didn't inspect (like I normally would have). I actually got a new Finnex 24/7+ light fixture, but can't use it because the piece of wood is hitting it when I put it on the tank... will have to fabricate something. Anyway, I think the choco gouramis are quite happy as they've been staking their spots and exploring, swimming under/over and between everything!

·
Registered
410 Posts
oh wow, love the new scape! very jungle-like.

41 - 60 of 151 Posts