British Columbia Aquariums banner

121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Updated photo of my 60P now in the living room - still working on how to make this look more natural. This is a tank that I am expecting to run for at least 2 years. I definitely want to add shrimp, but not sure what type yet... Anyone have suggestions on a colour that would complement and look natural in this tank? Either Jade Green or Wild Type Neocaridina I am thinking.

Special thanks to Pat @ CanadianAquatics for custom ordering me an ADA AquaSky 60cm light!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Loving that peice of wood Dou.The tank looks great.

Reactions: Dou

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The fish look very happy to be in there! ;)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I can finally share this! Rank 142 out of 2056 in this year's ADA IAPLC contest. Thank you Reckon, MDT, Battmanh, wslam, funkycat, imtrippedup and everyone who has taken time to give me feedback along the way.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Congrats! That's a great result. Amazing journey so far

I can finally share this! Rank 142 out of 2056 in this year's ADA IAPLC contest. Thank you Reckon, MDT, Battmanh, wslam, funkycat, imtrippedup and everyone who has taken time to give me feedback along the way.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Hello Dou.

How do you keep algae from going nuts in the Mini M with the Aquasky fixture? What is your photoperiod, dosing regime, CO2 injection method? What are you currently using for filtration? I have the same fixture and tank but fear insane algal blooms using it.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
All of these tanks you see have no CO2... The main reason being is that I have a lot of tanks and its too hard to maintain if every one of them grows too fast. I dose maybe once every 2-3 weeks, my light period is 5-6 hours (varies on each tank). The main types of algae issues I face are the type that grow on the glass wall (that I scrape)... My nano tanks I use AC20s. Also, I always have ramshorn snails.

I think the key concept is to add as many plants as aesthetically possible. In every tank, I try to block a ton of light from penetrating into the tank with plants (especially with bolbitis). With a low light period, they won't grow as fast either - meaning less ferts and also less room for algae as well (since the plants are competing for the limited light). Pair that with CO2... and you basically have an algae-free tank. My 60P all I do is water change once a week and glass scrape every 2-3 weeks, nothing else and I have no issues - and it has an AquaSky + ambient light from the living room. However... I am doing this with easy to grow/maintain plants (the idea of blocking light from penetrating while remaining aesthetically pleasing). If you have stem plants, you'll want to have the same idea (maximize green) but make sure every plant gets some light or else you'll get melting.

Hello Dou.

How do you keep algae from going nuts in the Mini M with the Aquasky fixture? What is your photoperiod, dosing regime, CO2 injection method? What are you currently using for filtration? I have the same fixture and tank but fear insane algal blooms using it.

Best regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Also.. you might notice some BBA in my 60P from that photo. That was from a test with no water changes for a month. Basically, weekly water changes are key to keeping that down (and removing whatever organics you can visibly see). Solution was to spot dose excel and let everything else do its thing.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Also.. you might notice some BBA in my 60P from that photo. That was from a test with no water changes for a month. Basically, weekly water changes are key to keeping that down (and removing whatever organics you can visibly see). Solution was to spot dose excel and let everything else do its thing.
BBA has been the bane of my existence..... and it just seems to ebb and flow (but mostly flow).

Thanks again!

Stuart

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
BBA has been the bane of my existence..... and it just seems to ebb and flow (but mostly flow).

Thanks again!

Stuart

I am pretty sure I know how to get rid of BBA or at least control it to a very minimal amount. My workplace tank was riddled with this issue... and it got SO bad. It covered everything. My solution was to to do water changes ever 3 days of about 50% - taking special care to suck out as much organics as possible (3-4 weeks). I made sure to add equilibrium back in to about 150-175 TDS, no other ferts. Plants were fine and eventually I saw sheets of BBA in the sand just kinda falling off the leaves. Afterwards, I spot dosed excel (everywhere I could see leftover BBA) with the filter off and it completed destroyed the rest - while maintaining my water changes. I also asked co-worker to reduce feeding to once every 2-3 days (she was overfeeding for sure). The tank is now clean and thriving again with no immediate signs of BBA appearing again. I really should be taking photos of how ugly it looked... but was too discouraged to document and show it at the time lol.

So key points: water change and remove as much organic/detritus as possible, maintain gH of 5-7, spot dose excel.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I am pretty sure I know how to get rid of BBA or at least control it to a very minimal amount. My workplace tank was riddled with this issue... and it got SO bad. It covered everything. My solution was to to do water changes ever 3 days of about 50% - taking special care to suck out as much organics as possible (3-4 weeks). I made sure to add equilibrium back in to about 150-175 TDS, no other ferts. Plants were fine and eventually I saw sheets of BBA in the sand just kinda falling off the leaves. Afterwards, I spot dosed excel (everywhere I could see leftover BBA) with the filter off and it completed destroyed the rest - while maintaining my water changes. I also asked co-worker to reduce feeding to once every 2-3 days (she was overfeeding for sure). The tank is now clean and thriving again with no immediate signs of BBA appearing again. I really should be taking photos of how ugly it looked... but was too discouraged to document and show it at the time lol.

So key points: water change and remove as much organic/detritus as possible, maintain gH of 5-7, spot dose excel.
Lets see some photos

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Living Room 60P Update:
- Tangerine tigers are flourishing! I added some aura blue tigers as well and they are still alive. Hopefully they will throw some mixed green-ish coloured babies in a few months.
- I have some big fat otocats in here - just like the ones I saw at Sumida aquarium =D! This is by far my most successful tank.
- Water changes once a week (30% or so)
- Algae present on the glass walls here and there that I scrape off. I noticed that in areas where I neglect (less effort to suck up detritus) more algae forms. Suggestion: always try to suck up as much detritus as possible during water changes.
- Photo taken with a Pixel 2 phone. Holy smokes does it take nice shots with minimal effort!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Amazing work Dou ... as usual solid information and great pictures. One day setting up some no-CO planted tanks I know who to call :bigsmile:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Amazing work Dou ... as usual solid information and great pictures. One day setting up some no-CO planted tanks I know who to call :bigsmile:
Thanks Victor. I think next year I'll be in North Van quite often for some hikes and would love to come visit your fish haven if you have time =). Text you then!

121 - 140 of 151 Posts