British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been too busy lately to deal with this. The stuff is sitting in Blaine, the order was 90% substrate and they wouldn't let me cross with it. ADA does not list any ingredients on their packaging, customs didn't like that.

I go across the line often and I may be able to bring small amounts at a time, or get some paperwork done that will allow me to cross with it.

There is a piece of wood and a few small tanks and things.. I don't know who ordered them because of the crash. I left everything there for now because I was in a rush after spending 2 hours with customs and needed to get back to Van without declaring anything. Let me know if you ordered anything other than substrate and I will get it to you in a week or two when I go back. Or if you don't want it now no hard feelings.

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
sorry to hear that dude, We will repost what we ordered here. let me know if you need help with anything at all.

4 bags of substrate!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I've been too busy lately to deal with this. The stuff is sitting in Blaine, the order was 90% substrate and they wouldn't let me cross with it. ADA does not list any ingredients on their packaging, customs didn't like that.

I go across the line often and I may be able to bring small amounts at a time, or get some paperwork done that will allow me to cross with it.

There is a piece of wood and a few small tanks and things.. I don't know who ordered them because of the crash. I left everything there for now because I was in a rush after spending 2 hours with customs and needed to get back to Van without declaring anything. Let me know if you ordered anything other than substrate and I will get it to you in a week or two when I go back. Or if you don't want it now no hard feelings.
Yup! I mentioned this way back before the crash. Tropica and ADA substrate has to undergo rigorous testing before allowing it into Canada. We did all the paperwork and sent samples of the Tropica substrate. After months it was rejected, although it was completely inert. Due to the fact that it was very difficult to differentiate it from soil by the naked eye, it will likely never be allowed. ADA will likely be no different. I think your nightmare has just begun unfortunately. :(

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Good question. Maybe the testing has been done on ADA but I highly doubt it. Canada is very strict on anything resembling soil.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
hmmm wierd.... I've spoken to customs at the ports for shipping by sea in the past. They should let it in. They are only concerned if the substrate looks more like soil But they told me ADA substrate would pass because it takes on the form of small clay granules and its uniform.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
So is Tropica substrate. Same shape. You need a permit to import planting material like ADA etc. It must be approved by the Canadian Government. A customs agent is not really the person you should be speaking to. I am sure any customs broker who would be ultimately legally responsible for importing such material would tell you otherwise. The Customs agent was probably just giving you his opinion. There is a big difference, trust me.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Yes, and no. That notice was regarding the planted material used in aquatic plants. That was a swift kick to the industry as well. I cant tell you how many samples of Tropica plants we sent in.

·
Banned
797 Posts
I find it is really hit or miss when it comes to Canadian customs officials enforcing regulations concerning the import of tropical fish and aquatic plants. I would guess this extends to aquarium supplies too? If you plan on doing repeat imports, then you better get your supply chain figured out and make sure you comply with all the regulations.

Years ago I visited Tropica in Denmark and arranged in person for a shipment of aquatic plants to arrive in Vancouver. The first custom agent I dealt with at YVR refused to release the shipment due to my paperwork non-complience (and inexperience). A second trip out to the airport the next day saw a different officer hand me my boxes with no questions, only a smile.

Good luck with resolving your import. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts

Wanting to know if you have made any progress? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Years ago I tried to bring home a window planter for my wife - it was a small planter, a pack of soil and some herb seeds. I bought it in Dallas and was flying home.

Customs guys at the airport said "Sorry I'll need to ask the Agriculture agent" and calls her on the phone. He keeps examining the package. She comes over and says planter and seeds are OK - but the soil has to be incinerated.

Customs guy: "wait a minute - this is made is Seattle - the bugs could have crawled here if they wanted"

This sent the agriculture agent berserk - she went on and on about how the customs guy was unprofessional and could have caused the entire Candian agriculture industry to fail.

I kept my mouth firmly sealed and felt lucky to get out of there without a cavity search.

·
Registered
101 Posts
lol... whos the one being unprofessional.
I would've piped up for the customs guy.
but I like stirring the pot that way.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
theres another fellow i know whos been bringing it back from hong kong.
i suppose it depends what is put on the invoice. the word soil..is not gonna go over well. if it had said aquarium substrate..maybe...
just dont drive across the border and tell them you didnt buy anything..and not declare. not worth it if they decide to check your trunk. it would be a big flag on your license plate..for the next times you cross. and..if they did..you pay double to get it back .or leave it and lose it.
sorry to hear of the problem..sometimes..its not worth trying to get things from other side of the border unless you know for sure its allowed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts