British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got a 75 gallon fish tank (4 foot wide) and was planning to setup a rift tank.

So far I already have some nice aragonite sand and large rocks with lots of little hiding places.

I was just wondering where you guys got the fish from. I haven't really found any local fish stores atleast in North Vancouver that have stock other then some Auratus or kenyi. Whcih i was told to stay away from since they would fight lots.

Do where would you recommend I get the fish and which species would you recommend for a first time rifty.

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up ill give him a shout. but from his message boards sounds like hes closing up shop for awhile.

·
Registered
110 Posts
75 gal is perfect for size for mbunas. Your substrate and decor choice is perfect for keeping africans and mbunas are quite easy to keep. Personally, I got bored with mbunas very quickly. Most species are either yellow or blue and are all similar in temperament. 75 gal is a little restrictive but you can always upgrade in the future. All-Male Peacock or lethrinops species tank would be very nice. I do tropheus only now in a 75 and they are a lotta fun. Do your research, coz it really depends on what you like.

Tom has some amazing fish. I've kept pretty much everything he has sold.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
arent tropheus much harder to care for and more prone to bloat?
if i had a 75 gallon tank, i would do yellow labs and demasoni, personally.

·
Registered
110 Posts
arent tropheus much harder to care for and more prone to bloat?
if i had a 75 gallon tank, i would do yellow labs and demasoni, personally.
it is a common misconception that tropheus are hard to keep. I find them as easy to keep as any african cichlid I've kept as long as you keep the tank stable. Frequent water changes, the right food, filtration, water flow etc. come into play as with any other fish.

Also, bloat is a symptom caused by any number of reasons and is not a disease. It is caused by something that is already present in your fish or tank. Poor water quality, over feeding and stress weaken your fish's immune system and the fish becomes susceptible . If you eliminate these, you pretty can much eliminate fear of having bloat.

labs and demasonis are nice but everyone keeps labs and demasonis. It would be interesting to see something new.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont mind the mbana blue yellow combo, I was thinking of maybe trying there 3, with trio of each 1 male 2 females. Think that would work?
Maylandia Callainos ( Blue Cobalts )
Pseudotropheus Socolofi ( Powder Blue Cichlid )
Melanochromis Auratus ( Golden Mbuna )

and maybe Red Empress ?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for letting me know but theres no way I could stock the tank at $20+ a fish, I'm more in the poor mans salt water tank category

1 - 11 of 11 Posts