British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those experienced with agassizii and their breeding behaviour, if someone could chime in.

Noticed this female guarding a certain cave today. She's not eating and just hovering around, chasing away anyone that comes in front. Typically, this would indicate something is probably up.

However, the male doesnt seem to be as agressive, nor hanging around the same cave. Also didnt notice any mating dances prior. He was actually chasing her away when she would come out. So my question is:

Do females typically lay stake to a cave if she is not in spawn?

And isn't it typically a team effort with the male when she does?

I cant see into the cave the way its scaped (its too low to get an angle towards the top of the cave, and the blyxa in front blocks too much).

I also dont want to lift the cave and disturb her. Guess i could just wait it out, but just wanted to see if any thoughts out there. (In the pic, she's also not as bright yellow as one would expect if she was indeed spawning - so maybe false alarm).

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Good evening.
I am reasonably experienced with apistos and will try to answer your questions.

Do females typically lay stake to a cave if she is not in spawn?
Females guarding caves is a good sign but apistos in general m&f like caves and hideouts especially if there are no dither fish around so this doesn't mean she's ready yet. She just found her spot :) When your female is ready to breed she will take on her breeding colours and normally will get friendly with her chosen partner.

And isn't it typically a team effort with the male when she does?
Not always. Raising their young, some species are single parent and some couples are feisty and you have to be very careful and sometimes pairs don't form the way you want and also at the time you want. I've had them go from loving each other to male dead in 12 hours after hatching...so this is a time where you may need to move the male out. Normally if there are dither fish around the male will clear the outer territory and the female will guard the fry till she's ready to breed again. Also, with aggies they are harem brooders so better to have 3or4f-1m ratio to get better results.

I cant see into the cave the way its scaped (its too low to get an angle towards the top of the cave, and the blyxa in front blocks too much).
No problem. If you want just lift the cave out and see if there are eggs. If she's not in brood dress there won't be eggs so at this time i'd suggest moving that cave so you can see into it when she's ready. If there are eggs you can decide whether to leave with her or take out...i'd suggest leave with her.

I also dont want to lift the cave and disturb her. Guess i could just wait it out, but just wanted to see if any thoughts out there. (In the pic, she's also not as bright yellow as one would expect if she was indeed spawning - so maybe false alarm).
See above.

I hope that this helps.
Cheers Russ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts