British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
well as long as the water is moving up top, it should be plenty, if you really are worried, get the water to ripple without really breaking the surface, as there wont be much using up the dissolved o2. I find only tall tanks may have an issue with just minor surface agitation due to the much smaller surface area to water volume ratio

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What you need is more filtration, an xp4 is only 450 gph which is only giving you 2.5 turnover per hour of your overall water volume, you want to have more like 10x turnover. I would strongly recommend adding more filters either a couple more xp4's or a couple AC 110/500's. Also maybe a couple of powerheads with prefilters on them. Right now with your fish being little might not be as important as when he gets bigger. As we both know puffers are very messy eaters. The cheapest route for raising your turnover would be the AC's for sure. On my 135 I run an XP3(300gph) and 2 AC 110's(1000gph)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What you need is more filtration, an xp4 is only 450 gph which is only giving you 2.5 turnover per hour of your overall water volume, you want to have more like 10x turnover. I would strongly recommend adding more filters either a couple more xp4's or a couple AC 110/500's. Also maybe a couple of powerheads with prefilters on them. Right now with your fish being little might not be as important as when he gets bigger. As we both know puffers are very messy eaters. The cheapest route for raising your turnover would be the AC's for sure. On my 135 I run an XP3(300gph) and 2 AC 110's(1000gph)
even in a full planted tank . what about air bubbles i hooked up a maxijet 1200 thats has an air valve. butt is this good for fish having more air in a planted 180

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
i think if you are just concerned about water circulation, the maxijet 1200 should be sufficient. You can even go to J&L and buy the mod for the maxijet that will bring it up to over 2000gph. However, i'm not sure there's enough biofiltration down the road.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yes the maxi would be good for circulation but your right, won't be enough for bio. Johnny, air bubbles is not what your after. I see none in my tank. Oxygen naturally occurs in water so as long as you got enough circulation you will have enough oxygen. Plus the plants themselves are good for oxygen.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't think a 180 gallon should need 3 xp4's if he only has like 1 fish. There isn't a lot of bioload in that tank. I say maybe an xp4 and a fluval u4 and one power head would be enough for that tank.

If you are going to go with cannister I think you should stay with cannister because you bought the cannister for a reason (to be quiet) adding ac110's is great, i've had 2 on my 55 gallon before but I would just stick with Cannister filtration.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I don't think a 180 gallon should need 3 xp4's if he only has like 1 fish. There isn't a lot of bioload in that tank. I say maybe an xp4 and a fluval u4 and one power head would be enough for that tank.

If you are going to go with cannister I think you should stay with cannister because you bought the cannister for a reason (to be quiet) adding ac110's is great, i've had 2 on my 55 gallon before but I would just stick with Cannister filtration.
not if that 1 fish is a MONSTER :D

-------

for oxygen levels, I would either add an airstone AND/OR sponge filter AND/OR powerhead.

·
Registered
206 Posts
10X turnover does that need to be filtered or just churned through a power head?

Either way a Bubbler won't do either, sponge filter would help for bioload but not flow, so you'd need that plus a power head...

I think another filter would help in your case, plus less cluter in your tank :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
10X turnover does that need to be filtered or just churned through a power head?

Either way a Bubbler won't do either, sponge filter would help for bioload but not flow, so you'd need that plus a power head...

I think another filter would help in your case, plus less cluter in your tank :rolleyes:
i have xp4 and maxijet 1200 hundred and thought this is fine.
oh and i was just asking if more air bubbles from the maxijet is better for fish . our it does not matter ?

·
Registered
916 Posts
The Rena Filstar XP4 External Filter has the following specification- • Flow Rate - 450 gph • Suitable for Aquariums - 265 gal • Canister Volume - 3 gal • Water flow (with media and tubing) - 190 gph

Quite the drop if you want to use tubing ;).
Still though its rated for a 265 gallon tank ( about 80 % more than he needs ....according to the guys that make it. ) If he is maxed out for boi load in the 180 he should still have a cushion.
Unless that little guy eats a pound of food a day he should be okay....besides Im pretty sure hes gonna get another tank soon ( did you notice he has MTS now ) and turn that into a comunity planted tank :)..LOL J/K

Johnny ..what kind of outlet do you have on the xp-4 ? ..between that and the power head you should be able to get more than enough circulation and water movement to get all the oxy. you need with out 1 air bubble .
Look at my tank ....one spray bar at one end and you can see every plant move and shimmy from top to bottom. Over 60 assorted fish and no one gasping for air .

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

Obviously you have never had a big puffer before :D

You need the heavy filtration with a big puffer they are pigs, very messy eaters. You should see the crap my filters suck up from mine.

Filtered. Again very very messy fish. Would not doubt if they are the messiest out there.

Johnny you don't need to add airstones or anything like that. Water movement will give you oxygenation. Also generally if you want to grow plants you don't want an airstone as they disrupt the water surface.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The Rena Filstar XP4 External Filter has the following specification- • Flow Rate - 450 gph • Suitable for Aquariums - 265 gal • Canister Volume - 3 gal • Water flow (with media and tubing) - 190 gph

Quite the drop if you want to use tubing ;).
Still though its rated for a 265 gallon tank ( about 80 % more than he needs ....according to the guys that make it. ) If he is maxed out for boi load in the 180 he should still have a cushion.
Unless that little guy eats a pound of food a day he should be okay....besides Im pretty sure hes gonna get another tank soon ( did you notice he has MTS now ) and turn that into a comunity planted tank :)..LOL J/K

Johnny ..what kind of outlet do you have on the xp-4 ? ..between that and the power head you should be able to get more than enough circulation and water movement to get all the oxy. you need with out 1 air bubble .
Look at my tank ....one spray bar at one end and you can see every plant move and shimmy from top to bottom. Over 60 assorted fish and no one gasping for air .
Problem is as I am sure your aware of, all companies over rate their filters.

When I feed my puffer a clam for instance or a whole large shrimp there is big clouds of crap coming from the frenzy. Never mind what comes outta his rear end when he is done :D Again at Johnny's puffer's size he won't be making that big of a mess but inside of a year he should be close to 10 inches or so and making a mess.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Wavy ..ripply ...movement...agitation of the water surface aids in oxygenating your water.
I have my spray bar an inch below the surface facing up on a 45 % angle disrupting the water surface :)
X2 my eheim spray bar add tons of air , but if you feel u need it , i got some disks if u want man , free no worries :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its funny. i just was asking if more air is good our not for fish . and now im getting alot of different info all good thou

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
disrupt the water surface? some said it is not good for plants i did not get that, was a little confused

1 - 20 of 24 Posts