British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is probably a active thread about this. But I was wondering if I could get some help here to get rid of algae in my tank threw harmless chemicals. Or am I dreaming....

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Chemicals harmless or not are a band aid for what's actually causing the algae.

Give more info on the tank and we might be able to help you.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
High nutrients, direct sunlight, old bulbs giving off the wrong wavelengths, and need for a big water change are some of the factors that could cause a big algal bloom.

You could add a decent UV sterilizer to kill the floating algae spores, but you really should look for the cause, rather than just treat the symptom.

·
Registered
245 Posts
One time I was at a LFS downtown and one of the guys there and I started talking. I mentioned I was battling a hair algae outbreak and his response was, 'yep, its about that time of year.'

To my surprise, I didn't think algae blooms were tied to the time of year. He then explained that our water system comes from reservoirs. And it is through these reservoirs where algae spores originate and can infect our tanks. The way he explained it seemed to make sense, but then I imagine our water to go through some process that would clean all this kind of stuff before we drink it.

Sorry a bit off topic, but relating to algal blooms, anyone ever heard of this possibility?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
The number of filtration systems our tap water goes through nowadays (post-2010 Olympics) makes me think this is less likely now than it was say 10 years ago. I still never do major water changes during or right after a huge storm, cause the turbidity might overwhelm the filtration systems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts