British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used an algae scrubber on their system. I have been doing a little bit of research and was wondering if they are as good as people are saying. My main concern is does it smell "fishy or seaweedy? I know funny question but my wife has a sensative nose, everytime i clean the tank or do water change she says it smells like the ocean and feels nausious (would you believe shes a Newfie..lol) and gets a little upset. I cant smell anything... I would love to build one to help keep phosphates and such down.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I'd guess that because of the amount of flow going over them that they wouldn't produce much of a smell but I could be wrong, I just made a post on canreef asking about some info on them.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
how big is your tank because Ive read that a 100g needs as big as 10"x10" thats pretty big for a sump and if you have a tank like mine thats just not worth it. When I'm doing a water change I put a large fan facing out my window so it pulls the smells right out.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
its a rough plastic mesh sheet that you put under a waterfall with light on both the front and back so the water trickles down causing algae to grow and eat up all the nitrates. I've read that you need a 1"x1" for every 4 gallons of water. So you get really good bio filtration with no algae growth in your tank. Yes it can be used in both fresh and salt its like the algae you see on a rock in the river same idea.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 120g display and a 30ish g sump, 10g of sump is a refugium. I am now trying to figure out where I could put one. Not much room for one that is verticle so I will need to figure out some sort of horazontal one. I am thinking of teeing off my overflow, cuting a 6" (or bigger) pipe in half to make a trough with the plastic mesh all down it and have it run into my sump. (like a water slide). I can only light it from above though. I read somewhere that the water must flow fairly fast to "inject" the nitrates etc into the Algae.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Chewie, I have the same size tank n sump as yours. I have a crappy algae scrubber setup inside the sump. Doesn't work the best but does help on reducing algae growing in DT. Every little bit helps...

Check out my 120 Gal Journal for pics!

Reactions: Chewie

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jtang. I did finally manage to set one up also in my sump a week ago. How long until it starts growing "turf", on what you saw. I know it does depend on nitrate and phosphate levels ( i think) So far i got just a light coating of brown on mine, not sure if that is normal or i got a problem. I have two exernal over flows, both have filter floss changed out weekly, one i have running to refugium and skimmer section of sump, the other is to my algea scrubber which sits over my return pump section of sump.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Mine started with brown algae as well. Then red n green. Since there is limited space in my sump, my setup is pretty basic. Light on one side only and the flow is weak so it isnt too efficient. Therefore i dont recommend others setting up the way i do. Im just too lazy to make another change when everything is happy n growing.

See pics of my sump n algae scrubber in my journal at the bottom of page 3. I have replaced the light to a larger, brighter one since n also have it connected to timer with 18hrs on time. I have noticed algae growth has dramatically slowed down since I have started using zeo-bak with bio-pellets. Also all the Cyano are now gone!

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/tank-journals-16/120-gal-reef-video-uploaded-17543/index3.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts