British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Maybe it's a little too intimadating for him to eat? as there are two much larger and much more aggressive eaters in the tank : Oscars!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yes, they are not to common in B.C. which is why I want to know where he got it. 80% of the time LFS mis-label gars. BTW those fish including the oscar will be dead soon b/c the gar will kill them if it's a true A gar. If the fish is growing several inches a month then it might really be an A gar, best to wait for king-el to chime in, he will know the type of gar and help out with the feeding....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Or he can post a better picture up on MFK, hundred percent someone can identify it for him!
And there are also great stickies there that you can read upon and check if it's a true gar, they are hard to differ in my opinion!

Anyways, where's King-EL when you need him? =)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Anyways, where's King-EL when you need him? =)
:( Sorry I'm late.

Yes it's a captive breed Florida Gar. Most common gar you'll see in many LFS and they are most of the time labeled as spotted gar or alligator gar as you often find at King Ed.

As for feeding. Best to separate it for now and fatten it up with live feeders. I know many will go against it but it just for starter. Once it get settle in more and nice and thick, starve it for 2 weeks and drop some pellets or drop some cut up shrimp or fish fillet in front of it. If it goes skinny again and won't eat, keep doing the same method as it will eventually learn. Once it start eating it will grow fast in just a few months to 16" and will always beg for food. You can also hand feed it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
his nose is completly flat with a ball snout i was wondering that my self because when they are juvanials they are hard to tell i thought at first it was a spotted gar

my white oscar is a pig that could be the reason

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Ahhh... Oscars are usually the ones that are a little too aggressive during feeding!
You definitely want to take King-EL's advice, as he's seriously the KING of monster fish!

=) I'm sure I'm not the only one that'll agree to that~

Good luck, I'm sure he'll be fine!

·
Registered
668 Posts
his nose is completly flat with a ball snout i was wondering that my self because when they are juvanials they are hard to tell i thought at first it was a spotted gar

nice Gar, I think you should be happy you actually have a florida and not an alligator gar. =D

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

There is no way that you can get true spotted gar in LFS. All that are so called spotted gars in many LFS are actually captive breed florida gars. They both look alike to the untrained eye but post pics and I can tell which one is which.;)

Your gar is 100% Florida gar (Lepisosteus platyrhincus)

Even juvie florida and gator gars can easily tell apart.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i was going to say i hope thats not a alligator gar... i watched a T.V show yesterday that they where fishing for them. an average fish for the fishing guide was 6 feet long and 100lbs.

why did it die? bummer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
the gar jumped out of the smallest space on my tank i think my oscar was chaseing it around and it found a small gap where my heater is just after he started eating lots i had the worst day waking up to my gar on the floor =0( i have pic of the albino tiger oscar on my profile also it is on the fresh classifids

1 - 20 of 20 Posts