British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

almond leaves

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  neven 
#1 ·
i know alot of shrimp breeders and experts use almond leaves in their tanks... how long do you leave the almond leaves in there ? and how many would be ideal for CRS and yellows in a 5 gal tank. and PFRS in a 10 gal. ? the 10 gal is heavily planted and the 5 gal is moderately planted ... looking to add more moss to the 5 gal. DO you leave the leaves in the tank after water changes or do you change the leaves after each water change? i know almond leaves tend to lower the ph in the tank... the question i have those is i already have 2 almond leaves in my 5 gal tank but the ph is at 6.8 where i am looking to dropping it to 6.3 should i add more leaves? i dont really want to leave my co2 24/7 as i might choke the shrimps out

#2 ·
i do roughly 1/2 a leaf per 5g and just take it out when the shrimps are done eating it which roughly take two weeks+ depending on how much shrimps you have. they do lower the PH but not really enough for you to be using that as the source of your PH control, people usually use ADA soil and let that do the work. co2 should only be on when your light is on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.