British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a group of 12 captive bred altum angelfish. A few of them recently paired up and it was just amazing to watch them doing their thing . However, they become very aggressive against the rest of the altums and pushed them all the way into one corner. They even take turns to attack the crowd none stop… I wonder if anyone here had experienced this before with the altum angels? Is there any way to reduce the level of aggression? Is the aggression going to ease after a while? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
more like setting up another tank, at least need to install a tank separator. it's
I’m no expert with Altums, but I use to breed scalare angels. If they are anything like regular angels, I would separate the pairs individually to spawn. A 36x18x12 tank should work. Discus spawning cones or small terra cotta flowerpots could work as spawning sites (but they may spawn on the glass or heater as well).

You could also induce spawning (once moved) by feeding live/frozen foods and dosing the water column with Vita-Chem Fresh. I would also slightly raise the temperature and do a 50% water change.

Good luck with the attempt and please keep us posted!

Best regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more like setting up another tank, at least need to install a tank separator. it's
I think I can try a tank divider and growing some tall live plants along the divider to block the line of sight... Adding an extra tank to the house is not an option for my wife :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m no expert with Altums, but I use to breed scalare angels. If they are anything like regular angels, I would separate the pairs individually to spawn. A 36x18x12 tank should work. Discus spawning cones or small terra cotta flowerpots could work as spawning sites (but they may spawn on the glass or heater as well).

You could also induce spawning (once moved) by feeding live/frozen foods and dosing the water column with Vita-Chem Fresh. I would also slightly raise the temperature and do a 50% water change.

Good luck with the attempt and please keep us posted!

Best regards,

Stuart
Thank you Stuart! I will try my best!

·
Registered
286 Posts
FWIW I have never kept altums.
How big is the tank for 12?
I hope what you are seeing is pairing up. I have seen video clips of altums and they seem to spend their days picking away at each other (similar or worse than scalares even in large tanks), and in reality they are rarely bred in captivity perhaps you are seeing ‘normal‘ territory/aggression behaviour in captivity?
I haven’t found tall plants to help with scalare aggression.
12 is A LOT of altums In any sized tank. Wishing you luck with this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts