British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread to record my experience with Altums, tank set up as well as feeding. I am also putting out the invitation to any other members who keep Altums to join in and contribute their experience and set ups.

As you know - on-line information is relatively scarce for Altum's so if we can learn from each other's experiences (good and bad) that would be great.

Here are a few pics. In my next post I will go into tank setup with more detail.

Altum 3.JPG

Altum 4.JPG

Altum 5.JPG

·
Registered
649 Posts
hi, I have kept Altums for years, and a few different batches.
the latest group is from Charles and he imported them in feb this year.
bought a group of 12 and lost three.
the rest of them have been doing great

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm starting this thread to record my experience with Altums, tank set up as well as feeding. I am also putting out the invitation to any other members who keep Altums to join in and contribute their experience and set ups.

As you know - on-line information is relatively scarce for Altum's so if we can learn from each other's experiences (good and bad) that would be great.

Here are a few pics. In my next post I will go into tank setup with more detail.
Looks like a nice tank, excited to see more details. Beautiful discus in there, as well.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi, I have kept Altums for years, and a few different batches.
the latest group is from Charles and he imported them in feb this year.
bought a group of 12 and lost three.
the rest of them have been doing great
Great to hear - do you have any pics to share?
What is your tank set-up?

·
Registered
200 Posts
You asked me before if I had pictures of my altum, so here's a video 🙂

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: Ocean

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Background:

Late last year I bought a single remaining Altum and added it to a new discus tank. He (she?) quickly took to feeding off frozen brineshrimp and bloodworm and at 1 year age he is now about 10” tall

I initially kept the recently acquired 3 Altums (approximately 3.5” to 4” tall) in a separate section of the main tank where they quickly adapted to a diet of freeze dried black worm and frozen bloodworms. After 2 weeks I removed the section, anticipating aggression I kept a close eye on the big guy, however everyone settled down without a fuss.

Tank set-up is as follows:
210g tank
Temperature 27-28
Ph about 6
Water change 30% twice weekly
2 x fx6 filters
1x sponge filter

My approach is to understock the tank and provide high volume turnover for filtration which allows for less frequent water changes

Stock levels
3 x 5” discus
1 x 10” Altum
3 x 3.5-4” Altum
2 x 4” ghost knife fish
7 corydora cats
1 clown plecostamus
4x dwarf neon rainbows

Hope this is useful for others planning to setup

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great looking specimens

What size tank are they in?

sorry for taking so long.
the video was taken 6 months ago and they are now bigger

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took delivery of 10 more Altums today to complete the collection. Currently in quarantine tank. They arrived looking healthy other than a few ragged fins. Will be holding my breathe for the next few days to see whether any issues present.

Fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Took delivery of 10 more Altums today to complete the collection. Currently in quarantine tank. They arrived looking healthy other than a few ragged fins. Will be holding my breathe for the next few days to see whether any issues present.

Fingers crossed
Sweet. Where did you get these from?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hows your altums doing?
Tank has settled now. Had a bad case of finrot shortly after arriving - very difficult to treat and lost a few fish as a result. The remaining 6 are great and growing really quickly.

Altums 3.JPG

Altums 6.JPG

Altums 7.JPG

Reactions: tredford8

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thats good things settled. I found that using API aquarium salt helped keep mine alive. Nice home they live in, lots of swimming space.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts