British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago I acquired a tank set up from a member here. The tank was taken down but still had its substrate (still wet) and filter (still cycled). I asked the member if he'd noticed any problems with the fish in the tank and he said no. (I still believe he was being honest).

I had the tank up and running in a few hours. Some of my fish went in the next day. About 3 weeks later I noticed a white dot on the anus of one of my endlers. I immediately suspected parasites so I went out and bought some PraziPro. Within two hours of treatment this tapeworm was making its exit. The endler was so hungry the tapeworm looked like a good lunch, even as it was coming out. :p Probably trying to eat this thing for the second time in three weeks. :rolleyes: The worm ended up being three times the length of the fish and I had to pull it out of its mouth lol.

I've never seen tapeworms in my tropical fish before and thought this was quite interesting and yes, disgusting. But I think it's a good lesson. Whenever you introduce new plants, fish, water, wood, substrate you're potentially adding new diseases.

(Don't worry Anjie, all fish were successfully treated months ago!)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
im always worried whenever adding new stuff. just added driftwood. 2 days in a bath tub of 50 C water, changed several times, also used a powerhead and activated carbon . then repeat in a smaller bucket when the wifes patience ran short and wanted the tub back

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm fairly certain that the endlers found it in the substrate and ate it when it was already a decent size. I think the fish would have died long ago of malnutrition if this thing had entered in the larval stage and grown to that size. This fish doesn't even look malnourished. Also, that endler was only about four months old.

·
Registered
743 Posts
that would be like a human eating a tapeworm the size of an anaconda (ouch)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The picture's good enough that i can see each and every rib of that tapeworm! If we had a photo contest, you just won it!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Ooooahhhh... just when I am eating my lunch at work.. not hungry anymore.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ewwww! lol It is definitely not a nice thing to see hanging out of your fish!!
Believe it or not, similar things can even be on new equipment you buy.
ALWAYS wash new items under HOT water to kill any bacteria!!!!

It is never worth it to use another person's "cycled" equipment.
Always safer to just clean it, and start fresh! :)

Thanks for the heads up!! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts