British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I missed this sticky from the old forum so I thought I would replace it.

Occasionally we get requests to price match fish. Most recently was a Midas Blenny. I was told that the customer purchased this fish previously from another operator for roughly 25% less than we had it offered for. Midas Blenny have a large global distribution and are available from many different countries. Typically this particular fish comes from either the Philippines or Indonesia. The one in question at IPU was from Kenya. The Kenyan ones we have are all hand caught with nets, a large percentage of fish are still collected with drugs in Indonesia and the Philippines. Although there has been some improvement, the majority still exercise this practice.
Also the freight from Kenya is clearly higher than it would be from Indonesia. These are just a few factors that determine the price of a particular fish.

Freight is the main factor with Freshwater fish as well. A neon Tetra for example ranges in price dramatically depending on size and origin.

Thank you for taking the time to understand a little bit about this occasional challenge.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our trades are released into a separate aquarium for observation before being mixed into the general population. Worms etc are more likely in newly imported fish then they would be from a customer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts