British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps i'm gonna get kicked off this forum but i feel that i've been let down. If this Craigslist and anything goes, then so be it. To be honest, i was expecting better from the members here. I'm only a recent addition member BCA and overall I feel there definitely a sense of community. However in the short time i've been here i've been let down by members who were not straight enough to admit that they got a better deal. How is it that with 2 transactions, i've been told that 1) my brother wants it so the deal is off and 2) i'll offer you this in one correspondence and in the second correspondence, sorry i miss led you. I won't publically acknowledge members (but you know who you are) since perhaps this is all on my side, but i feel that i don't think so. Can some confirm that this forum is respectful in the dealings or confirm that is just another craigslist???? On the flip side, i've had some great deals (e.g. battmahn) and an agreement is an agreement but i feel that perhaps it is more craigslist and a real aquarium community. I'm very new to the aquarium scene and I know that all this is buyer beware, but really???

·
Registered
572 Posts
I understand your frustration but... things happen and people change their minds all the time. You should just not expect anything until you actually exchange for it. Also, I would say it's quite easy to weed out the people who are being serious and those who are just lollygagging. Just examine their post - did they type in full sentences? Did they post a photo? Did they make an effort to be easily reached? Do they seem like they care about what they've got or do they just want to sell it and make a quick buck? If the person seems like they don't really care - chances are that they actually don't and consequently whoever hands them cash first will get whatever they've got. Like any community, it can be good and bad. It's really more who you associate yourself with - everyone I've been in regular contact with has been extremely nice and respectful.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I feel honoured that you mentioned me! Its funny that I was just chatting with some BCAquaria friends recently about people I have had good experiences with and I mentioned that I had a great experience with both you and Droop. Unfortunately we also talked about bad experiences with certain members being jerks or lying about not knowing the price of the moss I was selling to try to get a deal.

I hope you end up having better experiences in the future. It would be a shame to lose good members on this forum. I also hope that these poor transactions were honest mistakes (I've had a few crappy transactions come from my end as well).

If you ever need anything feel free to text or pm me anytime and I will try my best to help.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sometimes things just don't work out, sometimes people change their minds, and sometimes they get a better offer from someone else. Really, it's their perogative to whom and how they choose to sell their items. Nothing we buyers can do but make a mental note and move on. Like any group, there are the bad apples, but as Dou mentioned, with experience you'll learn to identify the time wasters and pass them over.

As a seller, I've dealt with the flakes, the "do you deliver"s, the "can you give this to me half off"s, and other equally exasperating buyers, but these kinds of people exist in all public spheres. Once I've dealt with these types, I remember and avoid them evermore in the future. You'll see that they tend to acquire a reputation here and we have excellent memories. Once you've been on this forum long enough, you will come to know which members are solid, as you've already started to do.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have not had any bad experiences on this site and have made many friends.I do look at the buyers profile and am very familiar with our members.I buy from Craigslist as well but feel more comfortable on this site for I do not know who the seller on Craigslist is.Sorry for your bad experience but I can ensure there are more good members here than bad.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
This is a free forum so unfortunately there will be people who join only to take advantage of this community's classifieds. Like April said you can check the feedback section in the buyer/seller profile to see what their sale history looks like. You can also look at the number of posts they've made to see how involved/committed they've been with this community. You may find that dealings with these members may be more smooth. I personally don't see any issue if someone pulls the sale off the table because they tell you a family member wants the item. Give them the benefit of doubt, they may actually be telling you THE TRUTH! I think you would do the same thing for someone you care about. It's disappointing but move on. If you really have an unpleasant transaction, you can leave negative feedback or communicate to a mod.
Don't be discouraged. In my time here I would say that I've had 90% good experiences with transactions in BCA.
I encourage you to continue to be involved in BCA, feel free to chime in on other people's posts, answer questions, ask questions etc. I noticed this is the first non FS/LF related thread you've made. It's a good start...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Reckon, Jousters, April, liquid_krystale, battmahn, and Dou for taking the time to respond to my initial post. Your thoughts are appreciated. It came out as a bit of a rant but the intention was really to try to remind the community (me included) that to make the forum a good place to visit we should be reminded of values such as integrity and "gentleman/gentlewoman" agreements.

I do want to add that my experiences with the good have by far outweighed the poor ones.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No Doubt About it -- Classified Ads are a Minefield

Yes, when you post a classified ad, there are always more than a few Gumbys scattered among the legitimate responders. My favourites are the ones who write back with a few questions, all of which you answer positively:

"Is it the blue one?"
"Yes," I say.
"Is it in good condition?"
"Excellent condition."
"Are you willing to come down on your price?"
"A little."
"Would you take $35.00. . . ?"
"Okay."

Never hear from them again. I guess they were looking for more of a challenge.

Then there's the guy who comes over, looks at whatever you're selling, then says:

Potential Buyer: "There's another guy selling one of these for half of what you're asking. Just saying."
Me: "And the reason you're not in his living room pawing his stuff like a ********* racoon at this moment is. . . ?"

Of course, the sellers can be equally exasperating. My favourites are the ones selling some oddball collection of items which they refuse to part out. "I'm selling an algae scraper, an Eheim 200 watt heater, half a container of TetraMin fish food and a 1937 International Harvester Model HB-200 Hay Bailer which needs a drive belt. Will only sell as a set."

As if there exists on earth some person who needs this particular exact and weird combination of items.

Another of my favourites:

"Complete 200-Gallon Aquarium Setup With Stand. $1100. Leaving Town. Must Sell By Sunday!"

I guess they were hoping that someone out there browsing Craigslist would see the ad and think, "Gosh, I don't really need an aquarium but. . . Damnit, this poor bastard must sell his aquarium. Better get over there with my wallet as soon as I can. Come to think of it, if I head straight to the airport, maybe I can catch him before his flight takes off!" When the more likely response is something like, "Thanks for letting me know you're desperate. That should help when it comes time to dicker over the price."

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Gumby lol.
I suppose it's human nature to scrounge and like cheap and free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
There's always going to be flakes when it comes to buying or selling on Craigslist or on BCA , they exist "deal with it". Here's a few of my favorites I've heard over the years.
Gee I really want to buy your tank, but you live way out in Langley, "Information flash" we all live way out somewhere :rolleyes:.
Another beauty, Do you ever come to Richmond, Burnaby, West Van or where ever. Of course I go to those places some times, but not just because you need my aquarium item.
And my all time favorite "Will you deliver it" :p!
You will soon figure out who these people are and who the good ones are as well. You can check the sellers I-Trader profile on BCA that will give you a pretty good idea of who your dealing with. My 2 cents :).

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have nothing but great experiences buying off this site. Mainly I have only bought plants but all in all great people

·
Registered
46 Posts
The ABSOLUTE WORST.. is when someone sets up a date and time to pick something up (like tomorrow at 2pm for example).. then you get a message later that night saying its been sold... Like people think buying a large fish tank is just an easy whimsical thing to do... not like I need to re-arrange my whole living room and disturb 3 other tanks to make room for it or anything.... which I spent the night before doing... only to be told I did it all for nothing... errrrrg... soooo annoying!

Reactions: mrbob and CRS Fan

·
Registered
216 Posts
yah i get this with fish time to time...buying fish that is

·
Registered
420 Posts
When "shopping" on BCA, the Seller should "answer" the bulk of a Buyer's questions IN THE AD before s/he needs to ask:

1. size
2. colour
3. condition - not subjective words like good, excellent, nice . . . but practical information such as: "a 1-inch scratch", "a 1/2-inch dent", a "missing whatever", etc.
4. price/price range - OBO or negotiable or firm
5. photos
6. brand name
7. age
8. used or new
9. quantity
10. good grammar and full sentences give a better first impression. (To me, it shows that the Seller has taken some extra time to care.)

Leave out any personal information like "I need the money", "Broke my hip and can longer carry water buckets", "My grandmother died and she gave me the tank." While these may be relevant circumstances to the Seller, these should be left out of a business transaction and have no bearing on the Buyer's wish to purchase or not. In turn, a Buyer should not use a "sob story" to haggle over the price.

Perhaps I am stating the obvious, but, simply put: Be reasonable, polite, and fair.

If a Seller has taken the time to present a professional-looking ad, then the chances are better that s/he is serious about selling and will less likely play games with the Buyer(s).

Hope this helps a bit.

:D

·
Registered
293 Posts
There's always going to be flakes when it comes to buying or selling on Craigslist or on BCA , they exist "deal with it". Here's a few of my favorites I've heard over the years.
Gee I really want to buy your tank, but you live way out in Langley, "Information flash" we all live way out somewhere :rolleyes:.
Another beauty, Do you ever come to Richmond, Burnaby, West Van or where ever. Of course I go to those places some times, but not just because you need my aquarium item.
And my all time favorite "Will you deliver it" :p!
You will soon figure out who these people are and who the good ones are as well. You can check the sellers I-Trader profile on BCA that will give you a pretty good idea of who your dealing with. My 2 cents :).
Here is how I see things as a seller: If I want to sell something then I will put the effort to sell it. This may include going out of my way to meet with the buyer. I am fortunate enough to have a car and I understand there are others who rely on transit instead. I don't judge people for not wanting to commute far just like I'm not judging you for not wanting to leave Langley but please understand that not everyone has the means or time to be able to travel far. You should also realize that Langley is actually really far for MOST members (made even further by the addition of the toll bridge on Highway 1) so don't be surprised if someone asks if you can deliver or meet up on your way to a city that is more convenient for them. Just kindly deny and move on without getting upset or acting petty about it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The ABSOLUTE WORST.. is when someone sets up a date and time to pick something up (like tomorrow at 2pm for example).. then you get a message later that night saying its been sold... Like people think buying a large fish tank is just an easy whimsical thing to do... not like I need to re-arrange my whole living room and disturb 3 other tanks to make room for it or anything.... which I spent the night before doing... only to be told I did it all for nothing... errrrrg... soooo annoying!
That's the worst happened to me few months ago member here did same to me he agreed to sell me is 210g spent a day moving 2 90g setups and other stuff to make room then he texts me and says sorry I got offered more from another member last night. No names should have left neg feedback so mad now I get tank then do what I have to later. I been buying off members for years on this site and have only had 3 problems most part everyone's awesome I meet! proud to be a member and meet lots of fishy friends.

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Here is how I see things as a seller: If I want to sell something then I will put the effort to sell it. This may include going out of my way to meet with the buyer. I am fortunate enough to have a car and I understand there are others who rely on transit instead. I don't judge people for not wanting to commute far just like I'm not judging you for not wanting to leave Langley but please understand that not everyone has the means or time to be able to travel far. You should also realize that Langley is actually really far for MOST members (made even further by the addition of the toll bridge on Highway 1) so don't be surprised if someone asks if you can deliver or meet up on your way to a city that is more convenient for them. Just kindly deny and move on without getting upset or acting petty about it.
Your entitled to your opinion on selling and or buying. Feed back score will usually tell the tale on who you buy from or sell to. Very helpful feature I think, but then that's just my opinion.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.