British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To my knowledge, no one has successfully captive bred rays in BC. By this I mean had a breeding pair/trio produce pups in a tank which are then raised to adulthood/sexual maturity. This strikes me as odd since there are quite a few captive ray breeders in Alberta.

I know Charles has brought in rays that were already pregnant, but I think the young always died shortly after birth or in the care of their owners?

Or maybe I am wrong, and there are captive ray breeders heer in BC? Anyone know of any?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I used to breed motoros before back in 2002-2004. I sold them to lfs before for high school money as I don't have a job back then.

Motoros are easiest stingray to breed and by far hardy and affordable. Black rays are easy too but way to expensive and they were hard to find back then also I don't have the cash to get a pair. My breeding stock before are at 14-18 inches in diameter. I also have a buddy that have a stingray got pregnant at 12-13 inches disk diameter but the pups were unhealthy and died after. The bigger the ray the healthier and more pups it will give birth. Stingray mating ritual is brutal as the male will nip on the female disk causing some fatal wounds if the female is not ready and can die.

·
Banned
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol why am I not surprised you are the one to have done it here? :)

How many pups do you think your breeders produced? Did you use pairs, trios, or larger harems?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
lol why am I not surprised you are the one to have done it here? :)

How many pups do you think your breeders produced? Did you use pairs, trios, or larger harems?
There are times that it will only give birth to just 1 and sometimes up to 9 but average around 4-6 pups. Female will get pregnant for about 90-100+ days before giving birth so that a time for a fish. If stress the female will give birth prematurely at around 70-80 days which will give birth to unhealthy pups. When it last 90 days or more you will surely be happy as the pups are more likely to be healthy. It fun watching it giving birth as the female just swim around dropping off the pups.

I just raise pairs as problem with tanks and space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts