British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent the last hour fiddling with the tank, and wanted a fresh set of eyes.

I up siphoning up the aquasoil in the foreground and replaced it with sand. It was pretty dark with all the plants, and the baby tears that I had planted weren’t making any progress. The sand really brightens things up and I’m quite happy with it—even though it’s probably going to be higher maintenance.

Would you make any changes to the tank? There are two honey gourami, 6 scarlet badis, an assassin snail, and some shrimp. I’m toying with the idea of adding some CPD… they are beautiful little fish that I’ve kept in the past, but I feel like that will be pushing it.

Plant Rectangle Branch Wood Terrestrial plant
Plant Leaf Nature Pet supply Botany

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you plopped that bad boy in my living room I’d be more than happy with it with no changes. It’s lookin great! I’d let it sit for at least a month before worrying about it cuz it’s already pretty legit.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hardscape looks pleasing.

You may want to consider replacing a good portion of the plants. They will outgrow the tank fairly fast. Amazon sword can easily reach 24" tall. hygrophila corymbosa or siamensis (?) on the left has an 8" diameter span, java fern can reach 20"

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree w Edge - the amazon swords will get too big - you need some smaller plants - some anubias nana petite would be nice around the base of the branches. Smaller leaves would help adjust the scale in the tank - right now the large leaves makes your hardscape look less like a landscape. Otherwise the layout etc looks great!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I’m going to keep pruning to keep things in check, but you are right… some plants will probably get too big.

So far I’m digging the overgrown jungle look, but that’s just me.

Also, to the person who recommended painting the back… which paint would you recommend? I’ve used the black (vinyl?) backgrounds in the past, but was never satisfied.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts