Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These 2 breeds `Geophagus` brasiliensis Geophagus surinamensis

will they do fine in a bare bottom I don't want it to dieo or anything thanks

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I disagree, they will be fine. I have kept and bred Geophagus Altifrons and grew up the juvies in bare bottoms.

However, I do not see the point of keeping Geophagus if you can't see their natural behaviour (which to me is 75% of the appeal).

edit: Didn't see you listed Brasiliensis. This one does not shift sand nearly as much as the Surinamensis complex. Behaviour is more like a CA cichlid.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Bare bottom will be fine. If your getting juveniles and plan on keeping them in a community tank just make sure you feed sinking pellets :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes they are fine in bare bottom, they will be better off with sand substrate though. Generally speaking most fish can live in bear bottom, but a big difference in being able to live and enjoying live.

I had them with aquarium gravel and they did ok, switched over to sandy substrate and way different activities. They can sift the sand and actually swim a lot more, 3 days after swapping out the substrate there were eggs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i guess i will buy some sand and put some in a corner for them and slowy do the rest

im planning to keep them with my datnoids

1 - 6 of 6 Posts