1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Very nice. So you just started riding recently? I'm surprised you didn't guess I'm a rider from my user name. :D

I used to be an instructor at PRS. My wife and I both ride. I have an older SV650 beater right now since I don't have much time to ride. I'm thinking about an adventure bike in the next few years. A BMW GS or a KTM.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice. So you just started riding recently? I'm surprised you didn't guess I'm a rider from my user name. :D

I used to be an instructor at PRS. My wife and I both ride. I have an older SV650 beater right now since I don't have much time to ride. I'm thinking about an adventure bike in the next few years. A BMW GS or a KTM.
i was wondering about that, 2x2wheels = 4? haha, but now it makes more sense =p

This will be my 3rd season riding, i graduated from PRS 3 years ago. Started with a Ninja 300 as my first bike ( love it) but wanted more power so went with the ninja 650 over a 636. I sat on it at the dealership and the 636's riding position is a pain in the butt.
sv650's are quite nice, heard lots of great things about them. The BMW or KTM are pretty nice also!

I was considering an advance course and doing track days, but with my son now, I don't really have much time to ride, just practice daily in the evenings around barnet highway and up sfu and back home and probably do a few trips to whistler,squamish and to harrison this season.

I rode my new bike home from the dealership when it was 16 degrees and anything over 60km/hr was pretty cold.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I actually had 2wheels x 3 at one point. K75s, ZX7R for the track and GS500 for my wife.

Do the track courses if you can. I did Keith Code, Reg Pridmore, and Mike Sullivan along with a number of track days (all with Dat). You won't regret it. I don't do Whistler of Squamish much anymore because of the changes in the road and the traffic load. I used to have breakfast every Sat morning in Squamish at the Britannia House. So much so that I was treated like family.

Sounds like you need more/better gear. Get a heated vest if you don't have one. We both have them. Makes riding much more fun.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
My brother just picked up his 2005 Ninja (650?) today, he's actually out picking it up right now. I'm planning on taking the exam, getting a bike and taking a thorough safety course (necessary IMO). Just don't have the cash to do it.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I'm planning on taking the exam, getting a bike and taking a thorough safety course (necessary IMO). Just don't have the cash to do it.
You're doing it the smart way. Anyone can learn to ride a bike, but learning to ride it safely in the city is another matter. Making the right decisions at the right time can save your life.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got my license but no bike. Haven't been on a bike in 14 years. I'm sad. LOL
time to get one :) you're in eagle ridge, that's next door to me :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're doing it the smart way. Anyone can learn to ride a bike, but learning to ride it safely in the city is another matter. Making the right decisions at the right time can save your life.
my honest opinion, even though the prs course was great and i got my license, it's really still not enough, only 10 hours of instructions and 10 hours of riding is quite limiting, I'd wish it was tripled or 5x the riding, that would be great, but then noone would want to pay for that.

and i avoid riding in the city, mainly highways, then hopefully track only one day

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
my honest opinion, even though the prs course was great and i got my license, it's really still not enough, only 10 hours of instructions and 10 hours of riding is quite limiting, I'd wish it was tripled or 5x the riding, that would be great, but then noone would want to pay for that.
Yep, it always come back to money. Even double the time would be good. In my time as an instructors, I saw some students who got it right away, and others who were good riders but really didn't "get it" and would forget the safety factor.

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
I've been ridding for more than 50 years, got started on scooters at 14 in Alberta.
MyBAS 68.jpg
I rode my HD Sporster to Sturgis in 1990
Road to Sturgis.jpg
I'm migrating to 3 wheeles as my back hurts more<G>

I had my Flying sidecar before I traded it in my new trike
MikebikeFSC.jpg

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Had my first bike at 4 an old fat honda 50. So unless anybody here has 24 years exp. I might be the champ here lol (only in my mind, one tire baby I'm kinda nuts) I was too small to touch the ground back then so I got the seat taken off and a towel taped on the frame = hardcore. LOL. No bike license I drive a "dump'a'truka' buddy's lol sorry but yeah with a comercial license I see waaaaay to much on te road to want to ride on pavement.

My mothers in an all women motorbike group (fzr400, rg250, currently shopping Ducati time to go new and not track bikes) but I ripped the Yamaha around the block here and she goes redlined 1400-1600. Shorts,tshirt, flip flops, and hair blowing I was 160 by the end of the block.

FYI atleast 3/4 of today "enthusiasts" couldn't use a 600 to its full potential. I always laugh when I see r1 or gsx rr, guys got one peice leather with advertising like a champ and he's still got nubbys and chicken strips on his tires Lol they think nobody knows.

Anyhow I love bikes, dirt mainly but street bikes are fun too just not my cup o tea with icbc handing out driver license like kinder surprise toys. It's not my skill level on two tires or one that worries me it's the other drivers. Just too many unknowns from gravel on the road from buddy's truck or just people tailgating, lane changes too much can happen

Also the wife and mom say its a must to take the safe riders course, not going to happen lol I have seen them in action, seen the leader do unsafe things himself and they go through my neighbour hood IMO all they do is give riders a false sense of security and skill.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually had 2wheels x 3 at one point. K75s, ZX7R for the track and GS500 for my wife.

Do the track courses if you can. I did Keith Code, Reg Pridmore, and Mike Sullivan along with a number of track days (all with Dat). You won't regret it. I don't do Whistler of Squamish much anymore because of the changes in the road and the traffic load. I used to have breakfast every Sat morning in Squamish at the Britannia House. So much so that I was treated like family.

Sounds like you need more/better gear. Get a heated vest if you don't have one. We both have them. Makes riding much more fun.
heated vest, sounds interesting, i'm going to have to look into that,

I'll need something to cover my neck that's where it hurt last ride

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
that photo made it around th world

I was invited to join the Australian Electra Gide forum.

I also got called on a couple of times for "last rides"
the most memorial for me a 90+ year old Ex RCMP motorcycle / sidecar in Yucon Teritories

Live to ride ride to live
& take a saftey reffresher/advanced ridder course every 5 years to keep you sharp.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
heated vest, sounds interesting, i'm going to have to look into that,

I'll need something to cover my neck that's where it hurt last ride
I almost always wear a fleece wind triangle. I don't like my neck exposed either. Something like one of those ski collars will work too. Or wear a turtle neck. I have something very similar to this though and most bike shops sell them. Aerostich Fleece Wind Triangle :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
So after reading the second page and seeing mikes post I clearly been trumped on year riding exp! Lol but pro rate my years and we will see ;) that trike is bad ass, I don't think my skinny butt can pull it off, but comfort man.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts