British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking through some photos I took while I was travelling in Hong Kong last summer and guess what I found.
From a picture I shot at a fish store in a public market and I found a few snakeheads.
Since I wasn't into SH yet back then:) so didn't feel anything about this photo before. However today one of them ( the one at bottom right) caught my attention and I don't think it's what goes on dishes in Chinese cuisine.
So here it is, just wanted to see if any of you can tell me if that's anything that should sold in such store
(or should be in some of monster fish keeper's tanks) :D

Thanks!

Wilson

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Channa maculata and the one on the right below is channa asiatica.

There are other species too that are alive in the pics and guessing channa asiatica but the one on the very upper left could be channa lucius.
DAMN EARL GOOD EYE!!

I googled them and most of them look quite stunning a captive tanks...
maybe when I move back to HK I should get a few and keep them!:)

also, the one on the very left that I only shot half of it should look like this

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
DAMN EARL GOOD EYE!!

I googled them and most of them look quite stunning a captive tanks...
maybe when I move back to HK I should get a few and keep them!:)

also, the one on the very left that I only shot half of it should look like this

That's not a snakehead but a marble sleeper goby. Been looking for one of that goby to be added to my collection but hard to find here in BC.

If you do plan on getting snakeheads there let me know I want those channa asiatica.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Those things are good and native in Philippines also. I still love our native catfish though "HITO" LOL.
yea I know countries like Thailand and Philippines has so many unique monster fishes!!!! Time to time I keep reminding myself to visit these countries (well I went to Thailand and only saw some bloody dead ones in the markets and the lfs don't have much monster fish except pbass and dat)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good for BBQ or deep fry or fish soup.:)
never tried catfish... I always caught them when I lived in HK tho...they eat almost everything that moves...

one silly question, do they taste muddy like how everybody tells me?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
never tried catfish... I always caught them when I lived in HK tho...they eat almost everything that moves...

one silly question, do they taste muddy like how everybody tells me?
No they are not. Those that taste like mud are those that have been scavenging on garbage. They are not good but good for feeders for monster fish. We always get ours from farm breeds as they are much safer and not disgusting to eat. They are feed on pellets and grind rice shell.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No they are not. Those that taste like mud are those that have been scavenging on garbage. They are not good but good for feeders for monster fish. We always get ours from farm breeds as they are much safer and not disgusting to eat. They are feed on pellets and grind rice shell.
uhHH!!!! I bet that has to be somewhat delicious!! I tried that marbled goby in HK in both steamed and deep fried, they tasted so rich and packed with flavours that made me thought I was eating some pricy saltwater fish!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
uhHH!!!! I bet that has to be somewhat delicious!! I tried that marbled goby in HK in both steamed and deep fried, they tasted so rich and packed with flavours that made me thought I was eating some pricy saltwater fish!!
Man you should try those african catfish too daym good deep fried lols. Those fish are even serve in 5 star hotels back in Philippines LOL. I ordered one of those catfish when my and my wife ate their and it cost around 10 canadian because this was a 5 star and it was deep fried, the fish was about 15-18" YUMMY!!!;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man you should try those african catfish too daym good deep fried lols. Those fish are even serve in 5 star hotels back in Philippines LOL. I ordered one of those catfish when my and my wife ate their and it cost around 10 canadian because this was a 5 star and it was deep fried, the fish was about 15-18" YUMMY!!!;)
hope no one saw me droooooooling in front my computer!! Some of these freshwater fish are just too damn good!! So as those freshwater eel!! The ones that eats plants in streams and have the yellow-greenish belly not like the normal white belly in the sea. THOSE ARE SO INSANE WHEN STEAMED!!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well i was too late to guess, I didnt scroll over and spot the asiatica good eye ,

I prefer my asiatica in tanks lol, I just slapped a few of one who's very much alive into my auranti thread...

As for the sleeper goby I always have thought they were cool fish, I only know of one around moncton, I wanted to pick it up a long time ago, sorta forgot about it when i got into snakeheads, he was about 6" at the time, i bet he's alot bigger now!

-DC-

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i was too late to guess, I didnt scroll over and spot the asiatica good eye ,

I prefer my asiatica in tanks lol, I just slapped a few of one who's very much alive into my auranti thread...

As for the sleeper goby I always have thought they were cool fish, I only know of one around moncton, I wanted to pick it up a long time ago, sorta forgot about it when i got into snakeheads, he was about 6" at the time, i bet he's alot bigger now!

-DC-
Again, I am most likely going to get a few SH in HK and keep them when I get back. I always thought those goby are in the snakehead family before I know anything about snakeheads! They are quite pricy even in the food market and they taste really good...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts