British Columbia Aquariums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
yes, they can reproduce fairly often especially if you don't separate the m/f. I've got 2 pairs that had fry on Feb 14 and again on Mar 20-26.
Too cool. keep me in mind next time you have a MF pair for sale!

Reactions: rwong2k10

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
3rd Attempt

I have another older male that I've now put with the female. We'll see how it goes this time. Still not sure what's going wrong.

·
Registered
277 Posts
what are your tank parameters PH , KH & GH? You may have eggs but no hatchings due to them needing exact water conditions especially if they're wild caught.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
They are not wild caught - at least 3 generations removed. pH is 6.8. No hardness - it's basically Surrey tap water.

·
Registered
277 Posts
bummer...that would be the easy answer... maybe you need lower Ph still....I am also in surrey but am using Seachem prime and Cichlid buffer along with almond leaves in my water change bucket and in my tanks. so far i am having great success with this mix although sometimes the females don't get it together for a while and have a few failed batches but they ultimately figure it out...hope yours will also.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Appreciate your response. But no, that is not the "easy answer". Someone I know has been having successful breeding from other fish from the same generation in my same water conditions. So I know it's possible.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Still no fry. They do all the right moves but no results. I don't know what's still missing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
bummer... mine have bred multiple times now and i've got probably 100 wigglers from 2 females that have bred with one of my males. I do have fry and juvies and 1 stray male adult that i've separated for his safety. If you are interested i can sell him to you to see if he's any better at mating with your female.... ?
Cheers Russ

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Still trying to figure out what is going wrong with the breeding process. They've probably gone through the breeding cycle 6 times now - but never any fry. Although I've never seen any eggs, from the behaviour of the female, there must have been some. They tolerate each other until just after I notice they have gone into a clay pot to breed. After about a day, the female starts chasing the male to a far corner and will not let him out. I have to rescue the male at that point. The female will keep swimming into the pot to check on the eggs, I assume. But after 3 days this stops and there aren't any fry. So something goes wrong at that point. I just can't figure it out and can't find any information about what to do about it. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
There are a lot of hiding spots in the tank. oak leaves. driftwood. plants. The problem is that the male would go looking for the female and the female would clobber him. Other times the female would be all flirty and the male would get closer and then the female would let him have it. It was really bizarre. But they are separated right now.
I know people like this, LOL!:lol:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts