British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 5 cories and 5 Albino BNP. Now there are 2 cories and 3 albino's left. The others are completely gone. They didn't jump out. I saw the Discus fish pecking at the cories and plecos. Which fish can I get to help clean the bottom and algae in the tank? Do I need bigger one?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
if you get a good sized pleco theyre pretty well armored and a discus shouldnt be able to touch em
i had a pleco that held its own against a green terror but he was older and 6 inches long alrdy

·
Registered
280 Posts
Get some caves or something for the plecos to hide during the day when it is bright out. They'll come out when the lights off when discus are not as active.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i keep Discus with corries and BN plecos, they all get along great, but i have heard discus horror stories.. usually evolves the eyes...

what size is the tank and how many discus are there?

·
Registered
310 Posts
well i would say ask charles - he had some discus peck out the eyes of a freshwater stingray. i would assume that the discus wouldn't be the culprit

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I would put in some caves or hiding spots like driftwood for the plecos. Since you have BNP, I am assuming you already have driftwood in the tank, if not then consider getting some as they help with their digestion and provide cover.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i keep Discus with corries and BN plecos, they all get along great, but i have heard discus horror stories.. usually evolves the eyes...

what size is the tank and how many discus are there?
I have some drift wood and hiding areas but those Discus can turn their bodies flat and get right in there. I will be getting some of those caves for the plecos. But going after catfish? Never would have thought. I have eight discus in a 180 gallon. I do enough water changes so the water doesn't get overwhelmed with all the uneatened food. Just thought I would get some bottom feeders to clean up some of it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The plecos should be fine once you put in caves for them to hide in. Those the discus definitely won't be able to get into. My cories do sometime go into the cave but not often. I'm lucky to have discus that don't bother other fish beside their own kind. Hope your remaining plecos and cories survive.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The plecos should be fine once you put in caves for them to hide in. Those the discus definitely won't be able to get into. My cories do sometime go into the cave but not often. I'm lucky to have discus that don't bother other fish beside their own kind. Hope your remaining plecos and cories survive.
I hope so too. The plecos are hiding in the caves but the cories like it out in the open. Here's hoping they survive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts