British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you already know, I am in the process of setting up my 155Gallon tank. The fish I ordered are arriving next week due to some delay on their side.

The fish are all really small and I cant really run my ehiem 2260 without getting them sucked up, so I've decided to run 2 x hydro sponge #5 in the tank for a few months.

I will be adding 50+ fish around 1".

I am looking for advice and opinions on the filter decision.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Cover the intake of the ehiem with a sponge an option?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I dont know if you have any HOB filters(prefer Aquaclears) , but those could come in handy in terms of moving water and keeping things clean along with the sponge units .Canister wise , another unit would help but thats just me.I have a setup half your size and i run two canisters on it (Eheim/Fluval) to keep things under control, followed by several water changes in a week.If your getting young fish, i would assume the water would need to be perfect for their well being.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I put sponges over the intakes on all my hob and cannisters. I just got tired of cleaning plant roots and junk out of the filter and I did lose a few fry here and there also.
Most fish are smart enough to avoid getting sucked in, even neons and stuff like that, baby guppies ect.
IMO sponges work for all types of filter intake and there is always the sponge powerhead option.
I just dont think the air stone ones wil do much in a tank that big though, powerhead for sure.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am planning to do 30% water change twice a week, so clearing the gunk and old water shouldn't be a problem.

I was wondering if the biological filtration is enough if I use 2 Sponges.

Again, I will definitely be adding canisters in a few months (once they are big enough), but with the size I get now, its too risky to use big canisters like my ehiem 2260 or the 2080 that I want to get.

I guess another option is to get 2 XP3s running in the tank (by selling my ehiem 2260) with the sponges as XP3 doesnt have as much force as the bigger powerful canisters. Then after about 5-6 months I can de-commission the XP3s and use my ehiem 2080.

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Aug 09

I went and got 2 Hydro Sponge #5s for the 155Gallon and I also got an XP3 filter and a Penguin Biowheel 350 to use in the 155 for a few months. The suction in these smaller filters shouldn't be able to suck the little ones in.

I also got a Coralife 3x UV light that came with the filter (3 months old) and I am planning on using it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts