British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my question is for the betta breeders out there :) how hard is it to breed bettas ? how big of a tank do you need to breed them & raise the fry in
also how to do you condishon the pair for breeding im asking as i have 1female & 2 lovely boys :) i want to try my hand at breeding them
also if i breed my koi female with eather of the boys would i get koi & other colored young ?

here is my female shes a Koi
Purple Entertainment Pink Violet Automotive lighting
Marine invertebrates Purple Organism Underwater Aquatic plant

My double delta Male Not sure of his age But hes always making bubble nests
Plant Window Organism Petal Fish

And last but not lest my yellow reg boy i have had him for about a year now
Water Orange Fish supply Plant Underwater

·
Registered
267 Posts
That is a nice female. Unfortunately, in most cases, the males are the ones with dominant gene. As for breeding them, I been breeding mine in hang on type( the ones powered by bubbles ) but of course bubble off during pairing. I find it easier to use this because it has a divider which help both fish being female producing more egg while getting to know the male and the male making nest bubbles. When it looks like she is ready, I take the divider out. At the beginning, the male chases her but after couple of hours, she stops swimming away and swims towards him under the bubble. Good luck

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok ty for the info :) ya i love this little female im thinking of trying her with my double delta male as hes the one making big bubble nests in his tank :)

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Lighter colour make the better. I was told you need a cellophane to breed to the koi.
It's a lot of work and lots of feedings wcs, and then jarring the males as they start showing their tails.
Daily wcs and 4 meals a day for good growth and fins. Also the guy I know had to use equilibrium to keep the tails growing even and not ratty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello corrie,
I have bred crown tail bettas in the past. Back then I just used a 10 gallon half filled with treated water, a sponge filter, kept the bottom of the tank bare (easier for male to pickup eggs, and for cleaning), and a Styrofoam cup cut lengthwise in half (floating in the tank along one of the tank sides as it helps the male keep his bubble nest together (alternatively I had better luck using a round piece of plastic bag I cut from the bags you get when you buy fish, and floating it near one of the tank sides)).

In my case I just conditioned the pair by feeding them frozen worms, some freeze dried blood worms, along with their usual Hikari Betts pellets. Put the female in a glass hurricane vase and after a few weeks the female started getting plump with eggs and she displayed the vertical stripes.

Once plump with eggs I removed the hurricane vase and let them be. Once they do their thing I remove the female, and let the male proceed with his parenting duties.

I am no expert, as I'm sure there are many other ways to breed them. I can PM you more details later if you'd like, or if you have any questions let me know.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.