British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I bought Kenta's aros that have both it's gill curled and did a surgery on both the curled gills. I didn't do the traditional method of cutting the gills except the gill membrane as it look messed up. Then I did the massage method ON the gill plate by slowly massaging the curled gill plate back the way it was before. It may take time but it's a lot better than cutting the gill plate as gill plate don't grow back. I later used a fine sand paper to gently sand the edge of the gill plate even so when the gill membrane starts to grow it won't be messed up. I have done this method since 2004 and works out fine. Takes about 2-4 months for full recovery including the gill membrane which takes a long time to fully grow back to normal.

Here are some pics of the surgery.

Before

After the surgery
Upper view

Right side

Left side

Will update again in 2-4 months when the gill membrane fully grows back.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Nice work. I always find it impressive when people do surgery on their fish. A guy who posts on Simply Discus dropped a glass top into a tank and cut the tail on one of his discus. He stitched it back together. Put 3 stitches in it's tail and when it healed you couldn't even see where the cut had been.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work. I always find it impressive when people do surgery on their fish. A guy who posts on Simply Discus dropped a glass top into a tank and cut the tail on one of his discus. He stitched it back together. Put 3 stitches in it's tail and when it healed you couldn't even see where the cut had been.
Lol! That's a good. Fish do have an amazing regeneration capabilities.:)

Word of advise to whoever wants to do it. Do not do a surgery on fish unless you know what your doing.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
fish dont have to use any energy to produce heat to regulate their body temperatures, this leaves lots for healing and growth :p

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No your not! :p
Lol! When can I visit your place? I wanna do experment on your turtle so it will become the ninja turtle and start walking and carrying weapons.

How big is the FRT now? Getting 4 more this end of the month.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Please try to make em talk as well! And the orange one (angelo) please make him dumb and have a bit of jokes!
Can you also train them to bury root tabs and prune my plants? =) If so, I will buy you 4 for the experiment! LOL~

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
wow very amazing...
as stated before this you are the King.......

·
Registered
572 Posts
Lol! When can I visit your place? I wanna do experment on your turtle so it will become the ninja turtle and start walking and carrying weapons.

How big is the FRT now? Getting 4 more this end of the month.
LOL you are not coming close to me turtle chump!:p He is doing really good, molted though i guess is he growing. I'm still trying to feed him some other fruits and veggies. His main diet now are algae wafers/sinking pallets/tomatoes/Romain lettuce/shrimp/smelt... For sure you should come see it and bring some beer while your at it LOL!:D

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please try to make em talk as well! And the orange one (angelo) please make him dumb and have a bit of jokes!
Can you also train them to bury root tabs and prune my plants? =) If so, I will buy you 4 for the experiment! LOL~
That's was the plan.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good stuff! I see its been making friends lol battle scars give a fish character!
It got beat up by my hbrtg and that's why it got those scar but it made look nice even more. lol! Might place a screw on the head and call this one Frankenstein aro, lol! JK JK....

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL you are not coming close to me turtle chump!:p He is doing really good, molted though i guess is he growing. I'm still trying to feed him some other fruits and veggies. His main diet now are algae wafers/sinking pallets/tomatoes/Romain lettuce/shrimp/smelt... For sure you should come see it and bring some beer while your at it LOL!:D
I might let you take care of the remaining 3 if no ones gonna pick them up right away.

As for the beer... just let me know when. It's getting hot now and lets have some BBQ.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts