British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes complex alright the most retarded password on the planet I have so many passwords and account and you guys think this website deserves the most complex one of all my accounts? My flippin Mastercard is easier to access! These new passwords can get bent, yes I will be changing it myself to something easiet to remember than fucjing VgZWa2's59yEW but all the hassle is a piss off. And yes there is a fucking apostrophe in it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thank You my password has been changed.No problem what so ever.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Copy and paste the new password. Then go to "edit email and/or password" and redo to a new password using all the features it requires, ie. numbers, symbols, 10+ characters. The one sent by email is computer generated and not intended as your final password choice, I believe.

·
Super Moderator
5,342 Posts
I thought I changed it already, BUT I guess I was wrong. It's definitely changed now ;)!

Best regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Yes complex alright the most retarded password on the planet I have so many passwords and account and you guys think this website deserves the most complex one of all my accounts? My flippin Mastercard is easier to access! These new passwords can get bent, yes I will be changing it myself to something easiet to remember than fucjing VgZWa2's59yEW but all the hassle is a piss off. And yes there is a fucking apostrophe in it.
While I might have worded it a bit more diplomatically, I must say that I agree with the sentiment. This is BCAquaria for goodness sake, not a financial institution. Those who want top secret security with umpteen letters, upper case, lowercase, numbers, letters, and additional characters can still have that. But perhaps let those who want simple passwords to keep them simple. The present format seems like a bit of overkill.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I agree. I want my regular password! Quick and simple. Not worried that much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Whats all the fuss about

The computer generated temporary password will get you into the site and then change it to what you want using the new criteria, it's not that big of a deal people, I personally am ok with a few extra characters in the password and be safe from getting hacked. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance. Sometimes I use a different computer to log on, so now it makes that more bother than it's worth. Also, the site occasionally forgets my auto log in info. Having to look up an elaborate password is a small inconvenience. There may be people who use public computers as well.

My credit union lets me have a short, simple password to do banking, so it really shouldn't be a problem here. But like I said, no big deal. Probably there will be a small number of people who don't use the site due to forgotten passwords, though.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My understanding is that the website breach has obtained certain information from forum files, i.e. passwords and email addresses in particular. Those files have been hacked and all the info therein obtained.

That very same thing can happen once again to the file with all the new changed passwords, so the need for complex, lengthy, and cumbersome passwords is highly inconvenient to say the least, ridiculous overkill, and totally unnecessary.
After all, this is simply an aquatic forum site, not a financial institution, and imo the worst case scenario for most members is to have their email address sold to spammers.

Even if I change my password to conform with the forum's new requirements as to number of characters, symbols, etc., it will still be highly inconvenient in my view, and will severely limit how much I access and participate in the forum in future.
That's my .02.

·
Super Moderator
5,342 Posts
I'd have
To change my Tapatalk

I don't believe your Tapatalk login will be affected. If you want to go to Web View from Tapatalk, you will need to update your password through the desktop site to view it that way. Your Tapatalk ID should be fine to access your regular sites through the app.

Respectfully,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Registered
6 Posts
And here I was thinking I was gunna catch some hate for my original post lol I was a little more fired up at the time and make have spoken rashly, my password is changed now but my original statement stands true I hate my new dumb a $$ password

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Well I have not received no email or temporary password sent . Still logged in.

·
Registered
617 Posts
lI agree with the rest . The new password requirements are a pain in the ass. Some members are having problems updating because they no longer use the e-mil account they linked to BCA also.. I changed mine , obviously, since I am here, but others are not able to get back in since they cannot receive their password reset at an address they no longer use.
By the way . . I may have one of the e-mail addresses the hackers got .. I am getting a lot of spam and phishing attempts at an old e-mail address I used to join the forum years ago and is still active .I have updated my e-mail on here, and the password, but I am not at al happy about their "enhanced security" which is even above what my bank requires.
Yungster , I sent you a pm because one user doesn't have the e-mail she enrolled with .. How is she supposed to get the link to reset her password if you will not send her the reset link to the new address I pm'd you ? I imagine other members are in the same boat and have not thought of having a friend who still is able to log in to ask you to send an e-mail to their new address?

·
Super Moderator
2,109 Posts
I can no longer use my Windows 10 browser Edge/IE11 to reply

I do all texting in Plain Text

but my text box with a gray save over it.

I can not remember the new password you FORCED on me/ had to gang to something I will never remember.

I has caused me to do something I have instructed people of the groups and forums to never do.

I had to write the longin password down so I can remember it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I can no longer use my Windows 10 browser Edge/IE11 to reply

I do all texting in Plain Text

but my text box with a gray save over it.

I can not remember the new password you FORCED on me/ had to gang to something I will never remember.

I has caused me to do something I have instructed people of the groups and forums to never do.

I had to write the longin password down so I can remember it.
You can go into your settings and change the password into something you can remember a little easier , but the length, inclusion of numbers and symbols is a definite PIA.

Whether they will update BCA to also work with IE 11 is something I won't hold my breath waiting for .

1 - 20 of 57 Posts