British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not a new member by forum-join-date, but by post-count most definitely!

Although growing up we had a fish tank (blackskirt tetras, guppies, swordtail fish), I consider myself a noob in that if nothing dies, I am a happy clam.

A few years ago, I set up a fish tank in my grade 5 classroom because one of my students was allergic to furry animals but the kids wanted a class pet. We enjoyed the year with our 2 plain pleco, 3 irridescent sharks and 1 bala shark very much. At the end of the year I took the tank home and set it up in my living room, where my cats derived great pleasure watching it.

The tank is still here, though its denizens have changed. The original fish died one by one soon after I returned from a summer abroad: my house sitter managed to somehow upset the water chemistry (I guess?) so badly that none but one pleco survived. He got too big, eventually, and moved to my mom's to keep her Oscar fish company in a much larger aquarium.

Currently my 25gal has been home to a sailfin pleco for about three years. I decided I would write this intro thread to celebrate his 6 new roommates:

So far, everyone seems to be getting along; though the pleco has been sulking behind his rock since Wednesday, he's started making the odd appearance.

It's a long, silent video: I was eager to try out my new FlipCamera. I don't expect anyone to watch all 10 minutes of swimming!

CN:
Feeding frenzy @ 2:13
Pleco emerges @ 6:51 (with cat-licking-food-tin noises in the background)

I suspect my tank is underlit, as the plants are not faring well, hence my determinedly hanging onto my "noob" status. I am a forgetful learner (see thread title) and would describe my ability to maintain complex systems as "sporadic". School work, homework and housework keep me from being able to make my tank a more serious hobby, but I am hoping to eventually figure out how to make this a prettier, more self-sustainable aquarium.

In the meantime, I thank you all in advance for your patience with me!

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
lol Ursus. Welcome to the forum Pistachoo. Nice looking tank. The standard T8 lighting isn't the best for plants but there are some plants that do fine with it. A T5 light strip would be much better for plant growth. Looks like you have Java Fern in there now , which in my experience is slow growing anyway and does much better if attached to driftwood if I am not mistaken. I'm sure you will find plenty of help and info here to help you achieve what you want out of your tank.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
800 Posts
Welcome to BCA!

quick question, why does that pearl gourami have such a hunched back? O.O I wasn't aware of a "balloon" version of them too...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol Ursus. Welcome to the forum Pistachoo. Nice looking tank. The standard T8 lighting isn't the best for plants but there are some plants that do fine with it. A T5 light strip would be much better for plant growth. Looks like you have Java Fern in there now , which in my experience is slow growing anyway and does much better if attached to driftwood if I am not mistaken. I'm sure you will find plenty of help and info here to help you achieve what you want out of your tank.

This tanks is cobbled together with left overs I found in the old science room at school/work. I have a bigger tank I am too chicken to set up yet which I think has these light strips you speak of.

As for my java fern (thanks for the ID), it was a lot bigger and fluffier and 'alive-er' when I got it. So not only is it slow growing, it's reverse growing!

Welcome to BCA!

quick question, why does that pearl gourami have such a hunched back? O.O I wasn't aware of a "balloon" version of them too...
I have no idea. I saw them, thought them pretty, and bought three. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Welcome to BCA:) Some nice and clear pictures of your fish,thanks for sharing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts