British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wondering what the aggression level is in an all male tank is between same species males. i am wondering specifically if having no females lessens the aggrression. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have a 125Gallon tank (as you already know) with mostly Male Haps and I do see some aggression.

The fact is that the males claim a territory and start digging and obviously they chase away the "competition". I've also had issues where one male would keep chasing a male of a different kind (but similar in shape and size). This could maybe occur because the male thinks that the other is a female?

I've heard overstocked tanks usually help minimize the aggression and it was the case when I had 11 tin foil barbs swimming around with them. The reason would be that they dont actually get a chance to "claim their territory" as the whole tank is no mans land.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
When I had my all male hap tank, there was some mild aggression but nothing that really got out of hand. Overcrowding them reduced that aggression alot but there was usually still a fish that really didn't like one other fish and the occasional chase occurred. Introducing a female into there would be a big no no unless you wanted to witness some carnage. LOL. If there was sufficient overcrowding, the female might go unnoticed. My tank was never that overstocked to that degree. I've seen some tanks where it was just a huge mix of both M and F African cichlids and there was little aggression due to the sheer numbers. However, all fish are different so you just never know.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes. i have a batch of victorians that turned out to be 90% male. i am worried about the female so i think i will take them out and put them in my overcrowded mixed male female
mbuna tank. they have a better chance there than with all these males even tho they were all raised together from fry. thanks guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts