British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will be away for a couple of months this summer. I have configured my outdoor nano barrel pond to be self sustaining. It has been running for a week and everything is so far so good. :D

Here is my pond

Armed with electric fence

I added an automatic feeder. Twice a day.

Add fresh water daily when my garden drip watering system turns on.

Water level is measured by a float switch.

Power head controlled by the float switch and a timer purges extra water once a day.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the kind words. I have a couple of fancy in there. I know it may be easier just moving them indoor but the project is fun by itself.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
very interesting. I hope you dont have any small kids in your place...you dont want them touching those electric fence...lol

This actually is very interesting indeed. Maybe I can use this idea for a BIG pond (whenever I get a house...); not the electric fence though. lol

I am actually thinking of a big green house in the backyard and have a nice Japanese style garden with a big koi pond :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The electric fence is reserved for the raccoons. One of them wiped out my entire stock a few years ago and kept coming back for more:mad: The electric fence only gives a very low current but high voltage pulse per second. I touched a couple of times by accident. Yes it is painful. It is like the pain from a static charge shock times 10.;)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The electric fence is reserved for the raccoons. One of them wiped out my entire stock a few years ago and kept coming back for more:mad: The electric fence only gives a very low current but high voltage pulse per second. I touched a couple of times by accident. Yes it is painful. It is like the pain from a static charge shock times 10.;)
=) i dun blame you! I had a raccoon that killed over 50 of my dad's outdoor pond goldfish 10 years back... from then on.. he given up!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Wow! It's fun to look at the mechanics of that pond, nevermind the pond life. If you're not an engineer, you might want to give that career some consideration!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am no engineer:eek:, however I did put lots of thoughts into this pond during the years and I am happy on what have worked out so far. I build most of structures using PVC and PEX pipe. Most of them are hold by tension. I did not drill a single hole or modify anything on the Chinese Goldfish pot.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just came back from the long trip. The pond is doing very well. Everything has been working according to the plan. There are still half container of pallets left in the feeder. The 2 fantails have doubled their size while I was away. The plant grew like crazy. I just did a water change and vacuum plus plant trimming, I am very happy about the result. I was going to use this set up just when I was away but I am thinking about keeping it running until winter. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update. I forgot to plug in the heater and the float switch was frozen overnight. When the timer turned on the circuit this morning, the water pump kept purging the water because the switch was stuck. Lucky that I did not locate the pump at the bottom of the tank otherwise it would drain the whole thing. I hung the pump just below the surface so all it could purge was about 1 quarter of tank water. Outdoor is tough, but a bit of planning may save the day.:D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Just an update. I forgot to plug in the heater and the float switch was frozen overnight. When the timer turned on the circuit this morning, the water pump kept purging the water because the switch was stuck. Lucky that I did not locate the pump at the bottom of the tank otherwise it would drain the whole thing. I hung the pump just below the surface so all it could purge was about 1 quarter of tank water. Outdoor is tough, but a bit of planning may save the day.:D
Thats called smart thinking ahead of time :)

You have any updated pictures to share with us?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New addition to the set up. I rigged some PVC pipes so I can use my UV unit temporary outdoor. It is used when new fishes are introduced or there is green water problem.

Spring is here and the plant is growing back.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Resetting my pond, made a plant holder from PVC pipe. Hopefully this will make my maintenance job easier.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 22 Posts