British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to do this but I want to hook up a bunck of small containers together and put my babys in there. I know well before the big crash there was a nice setup but now I can't refer to it. Yes I know it is bad to do this but it would be better than not changing the water often. 40 babies were born and I did have time till life changed. So what special set have you seen to help me?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is air line tubing enough flow for water while not letting the babies go from one container to the next. Or should I really use a over flow method

·
Registered
549 Posts
The females you can keep togeather... In one big tank..... As for the males there is serveral ways you could go about it.

Plastic tubs with holes drilled in the sides at the same hieght.... all held in a tray that drains all the over flow water into a 5 gallon tank that's setup like a sump. With a return pump and water lines running to the bottom of each plastic tub. Useing water sprinkler line from home depo... or other such things..... super easy.... Will take a bit of work to setup... but will make maintence super easy!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they are 5months old so i should be able to figure it out. they just have to be higher to look up at them

·
Registered
549 Posts
Look for longer fins.... If the fine is longer it's a male if it's really agressive with other fish it's a male....

Here's a rough idea for the betta system...

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Cool drawing, Scholz!

Would this work? -- Fill a lowish Rubbermaid container with water, and add filtration. Add dividers to the basin, or put stones into perforated plastic containers from the loonie store and set them into the basin so that water flows through all of them. Set it on a counter near the window for light, and drop some cabomba into each container.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It would work for a few betta's lets say maybe max of like 7 to 10

Where as the sump system would work with alot more! 50+ depending on sump size and bio media...

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
You wouldn't by any chance be daydreaming about building one of these at your place, would you? Now that you've got off to a good start with a dozen baby bettas?

:)

It would work for a few betta's lets say maybe max of like 7 to 10

Where as the sump system would work with alot more! 50+ depending on sump size and bio media...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well the dozen is down to around 8 i think.... And that just isn't enough fry to make something like this... If i had a hundred well I probably would make something like this...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I don't have a hundred but I have setup something. I have them all connected with air line hose in a row so it has it's ups and downs. More downs than up mind you. You can't have too many in a row due to the fact the water rolls down hill unless you have a large opening to each container, or have the containers at different high the water will over flow to the lid. My pump can't dial down low enough to trickel slowly so the air line tube can suck in the water as fast as it comes out. So my first container is a larger one because it's my test container with an over flow. It is only because it's my tester container and I was recycling old containers to test what I was going to do and what effect it would have. Good thing I did that because I wasted a few and I was going to throw it out anyways. So far it seems that it's easier to go out and buy a big sheet of plastic and cut it to size, and drill out holes to allow flow. Maybe when I get serious about breeding.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't think i'm following..... so the containers have airline conecting them is the water supose to flow through this airline? how are they connected? is the pump pumping water into the airline?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok sorry about taking so long but I finally got pics. They are off my phone but you get the idea.

As you can see one container is connected to another by air line tubing

·
Registered
549 Posts
Does the water actually flow through the airline like that? seems like a lot of finikie work. Bravo for having the paitence... I would have went mad! It's bassically the same idea as mine. Just in mine leave the holes that you drilled in the sides and run the feed lines into the cups. With control T valves.

what's your maintence like?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
WOW!!! I have to say "that is one simple system and definitely the most creative as I've seen"!!
I use to wanted to build a drip system, but didn't want to at the end as it can get costly, and it'd be quite useless if I fall out of the hobby (as i did)!
Here's a nice one that I thought I show ya http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php?t=15712
=) Can't wait to see more coming from ya~

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lets just say my carpet got a good cleaning that week. Without the over flow tube that you see, my guess is a cup every 1/2 hour. It's more than that but I haven't tried to figure it out. This is the cheapest way to check if this would work or not. the weirdest thing is that there is no glue or sealant to prevent leaks. Every few days I dump out the sump and suck out debris every week or less when I have time.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Most drip system, people will drill the bottom of a cube shaped container made of acrylic, and a piece of pvc in the middle, when it overflows, it will go through the pvc, have a net above it, and you're all set! =) At least most drip system i see is like that!
But i have to say, the way you build it, it's definitely most creative and looks clean!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts