British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its the time of the year again. There are lots of little tiny baby koi in the pond that is part of our apartment.

I wanted to know if it is "legal" to catch a few, grow them up and then dump them back in the pond.

It is a common pond, so I am not sure if I am allowed to catch the little ones or not. If someone can shed some light on this matter, it would be great :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
That sounds like a cool idea. They're not a native species so it shouldn't be a problem. The only trouble I'd see is if the pond's caretaker is very invested in looking after the pond and would take it personally that you're 'stealing' their fish. If you think that's a problem, just talk to them about it. As long as the pond is big enough to support that many big fish...go for it! :D

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
oh cool..go for it. how many are there? tons? the big ones dont eat them?
im sure if your just growing and then putting them back..dont see a problem..fun to watch them grow. what are their chances of survival in the pond? do they make it?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I normally see schools of babies every spring/summer.

I never saw any medium sized ones, so I can assume that they most likely do get eaten by the big ones.

The only problem is that it is a common pond. I think its part of our apartment, so basically I am paying for the maintenance of the pond etc. I guess I can write a letter to the council and see if they have any objections or not.

They are very tiny (around 1inch or less); but they are bright orange, just like their parents.

I will let you guys know if I manage to get permission from the council :)

I really want to grow some of them up. It should be fun.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just go scoop at night. lol. they might be hard to catch though.
thats assuming I can see them at night! lol

The pond is connected to the balconies of several town houses that are part of the strata. So I will be basically sitting/walking on their balcony to catch them. It is very likely that they mistake me for a thief and call the cops on me! lol

Only the people from the strata have the key to get into the pond area, but anyone can jump over the fence...

I will confirm its ok first and then I will try to catch them. I might need to borrow a big net from someone...the one with the looong stick thats used in fishing :D

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
thats assuming I can see them at night! lol

The pond is connected to the balconies of several town houses that are part of the strata. So I will be basically sitting/walking on their balcony to catch them. It is very likely that they mistake me for a thief and call the cops on me! lol

Only the people from the strata have the key to get into the pond area, but anyone can jump over the fence...

I will confirm its ok first and then I will try to catch them. I might need to borrow a big net from someone...the one with the looong stick thats used in fishing :D
I will gladly PAY for a video of this :eek::eek::eek::p
Shelley

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will keep you guys updated on this. I would like to "steal them legally" if possible :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Your not really stealing them just borrowing them for a while. :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only problem I see with "borrowing" the fish without permission is a high chance of complaints. The reason being that the pond ends near the walkway where lots of people are always walking with their dogs etc, so its a high traffic area.

People can also see me from the balcony. Therefore I think it would be best if I can get permission before I go catch them.

·
Banned
409 Posts
Let me know...I'll buy a wack from you....after all the population needs to be culled or they may out grow the pond....I believe you are doing them a favor in keeping the pond healthy....besides I need like 50....how bout a brownie for your trouble.....shhhhhhhh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts