British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does this happen??
How do you fix it?

Does Anyone recommend using a "bacteria booster"???

Pretty much my tank has gone cloudy over the past week.

I want to know some more details on how to fix it & to prevent it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If it's a bacteria bloom , just do a substrate cleaning to remove excess food feeding the bacteria and do a water change .. Forget the "bacterial boosters" for the tank, and for that matter, for any new setups. I don't think they do much more than lighten your wallet a little.
Usually a bacteria bloom comes from over feeding, or from a fish death unnoticed and decaying in a hidden spot. Once whatever is feeding the bacteria is removed the bloom will end.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Was there some change in the tank? This is usually how it happens. Nutrient load or bacteria load changed. Some examples are:

1. Excessive feeding (live food rotting perhaps)
2. Filter material was cleaned with tap water, killing a portion or all of the bacteria.
3. Tank was medicated (something that kills the bacteria), so same as 2.
4. Substrate was changed totally, so some of the bacteria colony was transported out.
5. Increase in fish load (added new fish).

You can do some water changed, limit feeding, but really all you need to do is monitor the ammonia and your fish behaviour until the bacteria colony catches up.

Forgot to add, if this is a new setup, get some filter materials from an established tank, that will go a long way to getting things in balance quicker.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok well as most of u know, Lisa & I did a substrate change like a month ago now. It was clear as day for many weeks. As for excessive feeding, i try very hard not to. Fed twice a day with nothing left behind. Havn't added lots of fish. Actually have been getting rid of fish lately. I did a water change last night & will do another again tonight. How long does it usually take to clear?? Oh and nobody has died either.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont think there is. Lisa did a test yesterday and she didnt see anything.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Bacterial blooms are generally caused by a physical disruption of the biological filter or medication causing the bacteria to de-colonize. Bacterial supplements do work depending on the product but if it is a bacterial bloom, adding a booster will make it worse.
I would recommend checking the buffering system for hardness levels and small water changes. It could be related to the feeding, particularly if we are talking your Mbu tank here. Particularly if you are feeding market type shrimp etc.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
market shrimp..so thats the problem..because yes i do feed him that.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I havn't noticed peices seperating. Its usually all swolled up instantly. Do spot prawns disintegrate easy??? I know that the market prawn holds quite well. Plus I thaw mine out b4 feeding.

·
Registered
567 Posts
When I did the last tests yesterday morning I got

pH: 6.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 110 ... very very high.. haven't checked yet after the W/C
Nitrites: 0

·
Registered
567 Posts
Did more tests last night & this is what I came up with..

GH: Clear > Very very very light blue.. mostly clear though.. the water never turned pink (have the nutrafin GH/KH test kit)
KH: Yellow immeditately
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrates: 20<50 not quite 50 and not quite 20
Nitrites: 0.0

1 - 20 of 78 Posts