British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, just thought I'd start up a tank journal for my shrimp/buce tank.

Equipment:
ADA 45P
Finnex Fugeray-R Ultra Slim Aquarium LED Light Fixture
Eheim Classic 150 (Eheim 2211) + ADA Lily Pipes
ADA Amazonia
Spiderwood

Plants:
Anubias barteri
Anubias barteri var. nana
Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite'
Bucephalandra Brown Sugar
Bucephalandra Brownie blue
Bucephalandra Brownie helena
Bucephalandra Brownie purple
Bucephalandra Fino Mimosa
Fissidens fontanus
Riccardia chamedryfolia (Mini Pellia)
Hydrocotyle tripartita

Shrimp:
Crystal Red Shrimp
Golden Bee Shrimp

This is how it looked when I first started the tank:
2015-08-13 18.58.47.jpg

Soaking the spiderwood before I decided to put it in the shrimp tank:
2015-08-13 20.42.01.jpg

Most recent photo of the tank:
2015-12-11 14.48.32.jpg

Close up of some CRS and my favourite buce (Fino Mimosa)!:
2015-11-20 16.52.44.jpg

Baby shrimp :)
2015-12-11 14.53.35.jpg

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to update with a few pictures of some new shrimp I added. They were purchased from shrimpfever (thanks Bobsidd for organizing the group buy). Enjoy!

Black King Kong
2016-02-02 17.36.27.jpg

Blue Bolt
2016-01-28 22.00.43.jpg

Just hanging out
2016-02-03 14.43.50.jpg

·
Registered
334 Posts
Great tank, Matt. The shrimp look great in there. Hopefully lots of baby BKK in your future.

Reactions: battmanh

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great tank, Matt. The shrimp look great in there. Hopefully lots of baby BKK in your future.
Thanks! I hope all your shrimp are doing well too. I am starting up a new shrimp tank soon to separate male mischlings in the future.

Another update: just bought some wine red shrimp for the tank and took a few pictures. Enjoy!
2016-02-06 14.49.03.jpg 2016-02-06 14.51.44.jpg

One happened to become berried today!
2016-02-06 14.46.33.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
Those are absolutely beautiful wine reds you got there. Where did you get them from and how much? Also, arent you worried about cross breeding? I thought you would get mischlings if they breed together, but I'm not an expert breeder.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow nice shrimps! Beautiful!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Those are absolutely beautiful wine reds you got there. Where did you get them from and how much? Also, arent you worried about cross breeding? I thought you would get mischlings if they breed together, but I'm not an expert breeder.
Thanks! I got them from Aquariums West for 3 for $50. I'm not worried about cross-breeding, just hoping they breed! When mischlings are produced I will separate male mischlings and keep female mischlings in the tank to breed with the Taiwan bees and hope my luck is good so I can get more Taiwan bees. When I have a decent colony of Taiwan bees I will likely keep just the same types together for more selective breeding.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks! I got them from Aquariums West for 3 for $50. I'm not worried about cross-breeding, just hoping they breed! When mischlings are produced I will separate male mischlings and keep female mischlings in the tank to breed with the Taiwan bees and hope my luck is good so I can get more Taiwan bees. When I have a decent colony of Taiwan bees I will likely keep just the same types together for more selective breeding.
Oh I didnt know AW carried them, that's really cool. You'll have to keep me updated because I have been thinking of adding some wine reds too but I am not sure if I want to mix them with my crs/cbs, just cuz I havent decided what I really want to do with my shrimps. In any case, I'm wishing you lots of luck!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Looks like you spent quite a bit on shrimps lately lol!

The wallet hurts hahaha but I am so happy with my shrimp tank right now. I don't imagine your new tank was a small expense either :p it is looking beautiful by the way!

Oh I didnt know AW carried them, that's really cool. You'll have to keep me updated because I have been thinking of adding some wine reds too but I am not sure if I want to mix them with my crs/cbs, just cuz I havent decided what I really want to do with my shrimps. In any case, I'm wishing you lots of luck!
Yeah they carry them every once in awhile. I called to make sure they had them this week. I think there were only 4-5 left after I bought some. I will keep updating here (hopefully with pictures of baby mischlings) but it'll take awhile to get the colony going. Thank you very much! I hope your new tank has much success as well :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Apparently, Aquariums West get their taiwan bees from a local breeder. No idea who that is, but I sure would like to know. Keep us posted on how the breeding goes, Matt. Did you see Tommy is having another sale? Someone needs to tell that guys to stop putting shrimp on sale. My wife is going to kill me.

Reactions: rwong2k10

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hahahah... my tank equipment are actually almost all second hand traded or bought on BCA. :) I'm glad you're happy with your shrimp tank. Breed! Then sell me some. :)

I hope I will be able to breed enough to sell!

Apparently, Aquariums West get their taiwan bees from a local breeder. No idea who that is, but I sure would like to know. Keep us posted on how the breeding goes, Matt. Did you see Tommy is having another sale? Someone needs to tell that guys to stop putting shrimp on sale. My wife is going to kill me.
I would love to know who this breeder is too. Hopefully they are a member on BCA. I did see the new sale and the prices are great. I was so tempted to make an order but I would have ended up buying way more than necessary. So hard to have self-control when it comes to shrimp!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a small update/tease. I have decided to put some more focus on growing moss as they seem pretty popular here on BCA.

Mini pellia + pregnant wine red shrimp. I have 4 mats of these growing right now. 3 in low tech and testing the growth of 1 in my high tech tank.
2016-02-16 20.40.53.jpg

Fissidens + blue bolt shrimp:
2016-02-16 20.41.05.jpg

On another note, I was at April's the other day and saw some beautiful halfmoon bettas so I was inspired to start up a new tank. It is an ADA 30W (30 cm x 18 cm x 24 cm) with ADA Amazonia and Seiryu stone. I will likely go with a DHG carpet in here with a single halfmoon betta and some shrimp culls.
2016-02-16 21.31.42.jpg

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shrimp pics!!! :D

Had some Anubias nana 'Petite' in the high tech tank with some algae on it so I threw it in to the shrimp tank for cleaning. They do a great job of cleaning:
2016-03-20 18.28.40.jpg 2016-03-20 18.28.51.jpg

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
How's the tank coming along? :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts