British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After being out of work for 4 months, my Union finally pulled through and got me a great job that will last a while! On June 25th I started my first day at BC Place.

Basically, the job is going to consist of, constructing a new roof, along with major renovations and reinforcing the over all integrity of the structure. The roof will be retractable and will be built similar to that of a suspension bridge. it will consist of post tensioned cables suspended from cantilever columns that tower over the stadium.

The outside will look something like this:

The inside may look something like this:

The PT cables will all meet at the center of the structure and go into a 100 Ton node.

Here is a great video showing in detail how the structure will actually be built:

Here is a video of what it will actually look like when completed:

Now finally for my own personal photos of the job in progress! Please feel free to comment and ask questions!! ENJOY!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are some pics of the 1000 TON crane!! in its early phase of construction. It is the largest crane i have ever seen! As you can see they even have to use a smaller crane to construct it!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'll kinda miss the puffy dome look, although by the look of those pictures it may still retain a bit of it. I hope it's stronger and more durable. Nice to see our tax dollars at work.:)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I always called the stadium "The giant marshmellow". I guess i'll need to find a new nickname for it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update: July 10, 2010

It has now been 2 weeks since i started at BC place and we have gotten a lot done! My company is now working in the field of play! We are installing lattices that will reinforce the outside perimeter of the stadium.

The 1000 Tone crane is now complete, it is no long just a turn table and tracks, it really has developed into a true mechanical monster. It has 2 completely separate counter weights that hold approximately 800,000lbs each! One set is directly behind the Cab of the crane, the other has its own giant tractor and lattice work that trails behind the crane. The main use of this giant will be to lift the giant mast like cantilever columns into place. There are a total of 37 of these giant columns that will surround the perimeter of the building and hold the post tensioning cables.

Time for more pics lets see if you can spot me in them! ;)

feel free to comment and ask questions, ENJOY! :D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Love the pics. Since most of us can't get inside BC Place it's nice to see what the progress looks like. Thanks for the updates keep em coming!:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your employment can be terminated for making these pictures available to the public or to the media. This project is very high profile. Please keep all personal pictures you have taken within your own home.

Please remove this thread as soon as possible

1 - 20 of 43 Posts