British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been with this site for 1.5 months now, but have found the forums EXTREMELY helpful. There is a lot of knowledge stored in the forums, however I find it very hard to find some of the information. The search engine is great, but when you are looking for some specific knowledge (say "algae bloom solution", or "fish disease diagnosis" ) you can come up with a lot of threads, and a lot of redundant ones too.

Some of the more useful information (like CO2, EI Method, etc) are stored as stickies, but only the person who posed the original post can update the information (unless you add posts, but then that knowledge gets bumped to the bottom).

I realize there is a lot of information on the web, but a lot of them I am skeptical of... I would trust comments from BCA people (and have met some too) more than those websites. Also we have sponsors on this website who are full of information.

Also there are a lot of comments like "oh you should check out the post so and so made on this topic", which is helpful but hard to find...

So I wonder if a Wiki would be helpful for BCA members. Its too bad that vBulletin does not support wiki's... Was there ever a discussion about this before the crash? Does BCA have any provision for a Wiki?

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
I could have sworn i replied to this thread but i guess not lol, sorry to keep you waiting :)

I have thought about a main website type of content system. A wiki might be a great addition, i will have to research some that are out there.

I did find one a few months back but i hated the navigation, it was very poorly made i think.

I will look into it and see if other websites who implemented it liked the results and if people actually even made a effort to add content to it.

I spent money a while back on a articles addition and i think we only had maybe 10 articles in a year...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
In the mean time it would pay off for members who refer to other posts to quickly find them and link them in the replies

I try to make a habit of linking them if i mention it, since i read the content of it, it makes it really easy to search for if its not a sticky or current

·
Registered
230 Posts
The main problem (that makes me soooo sad) is that we had years worth of information on BCAquaria before the system crash. So many articles and answers to questions that people had that are now gone. I just don't have it in me to rewrite all the info I wrote before. sigh...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could have sworn i replied to this thread but i guess not lol, sorry to keep you waiting :)
No problem :)
I will look into it and see if other websites who implemented it liked the results and if people actually even made a effort to add content to it.
My company uses one by Thought Farmer (ThoughtFarmer is Turnkey Social Intranet Software). We really like it. There was a few good things about it:
-The ability to move pages and reorganize the site is super easy
- the accounts were tied to our corporate login information (i.e. the system interfaces with other user databases), so if one changes the other changes
- ability to upload various media types.

obviously we pay for that service (... and now that I look at their website... quite a lot too), so I'm not sure it'll work for BCA...

I've seen a few websites using MediaWiki (MediaWiki), the same one as Wikipedia.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the mean time it would pay off for members who refer to other posts to quickly find them and link them in the replies

I try to make a habit of linking them if i mention it, since i read the content of it, it makes it really easy to search for if its not a sticky or current
Yes, and it's much appreciated! That's actually where I got the idea from...

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Media Wiki looks intersting.

If it comes down to it i might have to hire some people to take it on as a project and be responsible for it, too many projects already :)

Good idea though.... IF it gets used which i would hope so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.