British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say when 1 person writes a letter 10 people feel the same way.
"New BCaquaria isnt as fun"
"since the crash I dont spend as much time there as before"
"all classified ads now"

These are just some of many comments I have heard from members.

What kinds of things are you guys wanting to "have" that would make this an even better, vibrant, fun place to come than it already is.

I request that you phrase your suggestions in such a way as it is what you WANT to see

GOOD EXAMPLE would be..
Monthly giveaways in a timely fashion
Get togethers at members houses
NOT WHAT I want..
There are never any prizes anymore
Can't stand lowballers, know it alls, jerks yadda yadda..

As I am the OP I would ask you to please respect my requested form of dialogue. If you have something you have to get off your chest and its negative PM me:)

Lastly this is OUR forum and if we dont like where it's going its up to us to change it, and I think we can make it great. With help from all of us this can be the fun, informative, interactive place we will all want it to be.

Lisa

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll be the first one to say that being a new member this site is fantastic. I originally found this site while looking for a pump for my small outdoor pond, which led to putting a few goldfish in there. Now I have a 55 gal tank with african cichlids in there and can't stop reading post after post on here to find out more..... the fat kids addicted now me thinks. Thanks folks!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well yes there should be regular monthly prizes. Not one every few months. We already decided on a new banner so that should be put up asap. It does seem like every second thread is about someone selling or looking for something. I think there should be an entire different forum for selling things. It does not have to be fancy but the info and selling should be kept apart.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I want more get together small auctions. lol I love cheap stuff but sorry guys I only have a small one bedroom. lol

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want more get together small auctions. lol I love cheap stuff but sorry guys I only have a small one bedroom. lol
sweet!! That's a great idea!! with a "hostess/Host" gift perhaps like those candlelight tupperware party things!!!!

I like it!! Idea one!!!!

Star for OCD

·
Super Moderator
5,305 Posts
I would love small get togethers at members houses. I don't think the wife would approve though, as I already have too many people over for too long with the items I already sell :eek:. Anyone who has been to my place for P/U knows I LOVE fish people and fishtalk. Well, I'm not getting divorced but I need to re-prioritize as I often spend too much time with fish and fish people. I LOVE this forum, but I would say the monthly prizes should be monthly and drawn on time :)! I have also met several good friends through this forum :D!

Respectfully,

Stuart

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Speaking of old ones:

"When i was a young man we had to use an eggbeater to get the chlorine out!" my fav quote from king eds from the old guy who's not korean who works there :D

But i do agree things have slowed down on here and the classified have been taking over. Hard to sift through the topics sometimes to see whats actually conversation :) But on the other hand, the site relaunched late spring, just before summer kicked off, and as summer is winding down now, it kinda explaisn the lack of activity. But the old BCA, i've never experienced it, i was just signed up and little more than that.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'd be up for monthly lunches, vary times and days to include as many people as possible, I love meeting and talking to people here.

Steve

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ooo we should do like a house tour. You know, like the ones where you get a map with addresses of houses that are being showcased, and you can ooo and ahhh over the interior/exterior design. They have a variety, like reno's, heritage houses etc!

We should do an aquarium walking/driving tour where we get to go see people's aquariums and talk to the designer. I know we cover a large region, but if we have lots of people who are interested in showcasing, then we can have them all over town! And we can categorize them so that people know what they are going to see (Planted Tank, Cichlid tanks, salt water tanks, community tank etc) ....

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I like Kitsune's idea as well. Seeing tanks in pictures is nowhere near as nice as seeing them in person. We could arrange carpools. Of course, we'd need people willing to open their doors to hordes of gawkers.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Once my body heals from injuries and my tanks are setup properly again after the big flood, I would be willing to help organize a tank tour or get together. Maybe what we can do is do a regional tour a few times a year, like a Burnaby tour, then a Surrey tour or North Van tour (etc.).

If my 220g didn't break, I was planning to have a BCA bbq here in the next week or so, but now I have to deal with a lot of cleanup, tear down & resetup issues.

Anthony

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well after I move and get some tanks set up (and decent to my standards and when My new fish arrive and settled) I'll see if the bf will let me have a BBQ :)

I was never part of the old BCA just joined in July

As far as the classifieds go, I like them.. I enjoy browsing through them but I wish the Finished or sold items were taken off.. I can and will root through back to the last page if I'm bored

Think I spend waayyyy to much time on here too ;)

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
As far as the classifieds go, I like them.. I enjoy browsing through them but I wish the Finished or sold items were taken off.. I can and will root through back to the last page if I'm bored
This is the problem with the seller, not the forum. They should be closed by the seller.

Actually this brings up a possibility. Can we have customizable "New Posts" where it does not show classifieds? I know that would make my wife happier. :D It would clean up the posts for people who are just after information, and not wanting to buy stuff.

A second way to manage this would be to allow people to subscribe to entire forums...that way if you're interested in buying equipment for instance, you'll get notified someone posts something new in that forum. I know in some forums I frequent, there is that feature.

The way that would help is for instance, if you're interested in plecos, or planted tanks, then you can sub to that forum and know if someone posts to that forum. It's a pretty handy tool. I use it on Planetcatfish, since I am only interested in plecos, and not the myriads of other catfish (ok, Cories too, but that's about it).

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
One of the ways BCA has changed over the last couple of years (not just since the 'crash') is in attitude. It isn't particularly 'friendly' anymore.

As someone mentioned to me recently, a new member wouldn't feel particularly comfortable posting pics of her/his first guppy tank, plastic plants and all. There was a time when members would encourage that poster to keep at it, keep learning and keep enjoying. Welcome them as a fellow aquarium enthusiast, regardless of their skill level or aesthetic choices.

There is still good will here at the site- case in point, when someone's tank breaks there are many offers of assistance. But in the day to day posts there is now a belligerence, a rudeness, that wasn't here before.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I would agree things are not as they once were but there is still a lot of good here for sure. There is a lot more classifieds then before as has been mentioned. Many members before posed a lot more questions regarding their aquarium, now there seems to be a lot of reluctance for people to do so. I know by the number of PM's I get regarding individual problems that people are hesitant to post their queries.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I know by the number of PM's I get regarding individual problems that people are hesitant to post their queries.
Good point Grant. I've found the same, that a lot more people interact via PM's now instead posting to the open forums, which results in a loss of information to the general members.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Maybe some are shy or theres fear of getting judged.. I know there has been a few things I chose to read up on rather then ask as I dont want poeple aware of my failers.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Yes, I think that is more the case. It is unfortunate because as stated, those are the posts others are missing out on.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.