British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I found that the Specs' lights worked well enough in the 2 gallon tanks for low light plants. But if you'd like to replace it, I saw some LED lights for nano tanks at Aquariums West that looked pretty amazing. Not sure what the prices were. They also had some Fluval Ebi lights for sale there. Those are fluorescent, which I find work very well. You might be able to get one of those second hand inexpensively as many people switch to higher power lights. I found the Fluval Ebi lights to be pretty much perfect for tanks up to 9 gallons. (I tried them on my Specs, too.) I never had any problem with algae with them.

However, you might find that your Spec light works just fine, especially in a room with a bit of natural daylight.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I found that the Specs' lights worked well enough in the 2 gallon tanks for low light plants. But if you'd like to replace it, I saw some LED lights for nano tanks at Aquariums West that looked pretty amazing. Not sure what the prices were. They also had some Fluval Ebi lights for sale there. Those are fluorescent, which I find work very well. You might be able to get one of those second hand inexpensively as many people switch to higher power lights. I found the Fluval Ebi lights to be pretty much perfect for tanks up to 9 gallons. (I tried them on my Specs, too.) I never had any problem with algae with them.

However, you might find that your Spec light works just fine, especially in a room with a bit of natural daylight.
Thanks for the help. :)
I'll look into the lights you suggested.
I've been looking at the 18" Current USA Satellite LED + and the 18" Current USA Satellite Plus Pro LED at J&L.
They are pretty powerful for a 5 gallon but, the light intensity on the Pro Plus is adjustable.
If I went with either of these I would have to go pressurized CO2 also.
This could end up being a very expensive 5 gallon tank.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Now I have to find some ammonia so I can start cycling the tank.
Definitely have to look into replacing the light.
Mine doesn't seem like it would work even for low light plants.
geealexg's beautiful Spec V's look so much brighter than my tank does. :confused:.
It looks brighter because I shot the pictures in a very dark room lol.

Here is the latest picture of the Fluval Spec III Betta/Boraras tank (~6 months old). As you can see in a fully lit room, the LEDs barely brighten up the tank. I agree that the LED lighting is not very bright, so you should supplement it with additional natural daylight from the windows.

Using Camera flash helps a lot in close-up fish selfies:

·
Registered
94 Posts

"As much as it is challenging to create a healthy and thriving fish tank, there is something fascinating about cultivating miniature ecosystems on a small desk - having live fish, shrimps, plants, and micro-infusoria co-existing with one another inside small, enclosed environments. Nano tanks are a constant reminder of the immense power & responsibility that humans have in shaping our natural world and that life thrives within our oceans, rivers, and water bodies within a delicate balance."
(literally--nano tanks can crash faster than larger aquariums)

Very nice.

How are the emerald dwarf danios compared to CPD's in colouring and behavior?
Emerald Dwarf Danios (Celestichthys erythromicron) are a little bit more shy than the CPD's (Celestichthys margaritatus) lol margarita cocktails. The females are much more pale than the males (tan/gray color) and have thinner stripes. Males have much broader, blue stripes. In terms of their movement, both species like to dart in and out of plant cover. However, the Emerald Dwarf Danios like to "flutter their pectoral fins" (like an aquatic hummingbird haha) unlike CPD's. Nano tanks are perfect for these fish, because they are less visible in larger tanks. They also need lots of plant cover and a decent sized group of their own kind, or they will hide a lot and become very elusive. I'll post some pictures later of the fish in the Fluval Spec tanks, if you are interested. Note: I bought all of the CPDs/Badis from April's Aquarium.

Camera Flash has been enabled to show their body patterns better ->

Some of my Emerald Dwarf Danios (Celestichthys erythromicron, 2cm in size) sparring:
Part 1: The Staredown.

Part 2: The Wrestling Match.

Some of my Celestial Pearl Danios (Celestichthys margaritatus, 2cm in size) shoaling:

My two Scarlet Badis (Dario dario, 2cm in size) are currently being kept in a different Fluval Spec V tank than the Black Tiger Dario (Dario sp. 'Myanmar', 3.5 cm in size), because they are mortal enemies with each other. The Scarlet Badis do get along well with each other surprisingly. They like to chill under the shade of the rosewood branchwood.

Into the light

I wish people and pet stores stopped calling CPD's "Galaxy Rasboras" and Emerald Dwarf Danios "Emerald Dwarf Rasboras". They are actually more closely related to danios. They also kind of look like baby trout and salmon.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/celestichthys-margaritatus/
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/celestichthys-erythromicron/

Although I personally just supplement the tanks with natural daylight from the windows, great alternatives to the stock LED Fluval Spec light are here:
http://spec-tanks.com/options-for-fluval-spec-light-upgrade-v-iii/

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks for the help. :)
I'll look into the lights you suggested.
I've been looking at the 18" Current USA Satellite LED + and the 18" Current USA Satellite Plus Pro LED at J&L.
They are pretty powerful for a 5 gallon but, the light intensity on the Pro Plus is adjustable.
If I went with either of these I would have to go pressurized CO2 also.
This could end up being a very expensive 5 gallon tank.
I heard the Current USA Satellite series are good for spec tanks. I have a Finnex Stingray I picked up from the states, it's way cheaper than buying lights here (except the exchange rate is really bad)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Has anyone gotten their Spec V to actually skim the surface film off of their tank?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Has anyone gotten their Spec V to actually skim the surface film off of their tank?
Yeah you raise the outflow nozzle up to break surface tension. It's worked for me so far. I also found someone that taped a piece of plastic (yogurt lid) on the filter vents, and he claimed it helped stopped backflow of water above the sponge back into the tank and helped surface skimming.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks.
I saw an article on partially blocking the overflow with a plastic baffle to increase the speed of the water through the overflow to pull the
surface film into the filter, but, I can't remember where I saw it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the Spec V as well. Great tank for a beginner, but I don't recommend it for shrimps. The filter compartment draws in baby shrimps and it makes it so difficult to get them out. They wont necessarily die right away in there but you probably wont be able to get most of them out. I lost a good dozen or so babies in there.

On the other hand, it's great for small fish or a betta tank. It comes with everything you need for a low tech tank, although the stock light could be better.

IkWesAT.jpg

This was my tank. I added a HOB and DIY CO2 and used a different light to support the plants I was growing.

Overall a great tank for beginners, but if you got the experience and know-how, you'd be better off building your own tank due to the restrictiveness of the Spec V. Can't speak for other tanks though. I think the Edge looks great and I'd buy it if I had more money. lol

·
Registered
394 Posts
The surface film has cleared itself up. :)

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
I am looking for suggestions to "habitate" my Fluval spec v tank. I originally had it reserved for some crs that I will be getting from "seahorsefanatic" :) but I have acquired a beautiful 7 gal Fluval Ebi from a fellow BCA member and that Fluval now has; "reserved for Anthony's beautiful crs's " on it:bigsmile:
So..........now back to my original request. I am looking for ideas from the "nano experts" on this thread as to which fish to put into my spec v.
I am ruling out kilies as I currently have four different species of killies housed in four ten gallon tanks, so any other smaller fish suggestions would be welcomed. "geealexg", you have posted several f your beautiful nano tanks :cool:.....do you have an ideas for an easy-to-maintain nano tank. I currently have the tank conditioned and running with a few common endlers and some healthy wendala growing on nice small pieces of wood. Also have upgraded led lighting on the way :bigsmile:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am looking for suggestions to "habitate" my Fluval spec v tank. I originally had it reserved for some crs that I will be getting from "seahorsefanatic" :) but I have acquired a beautiful 7 gal Fluval Ebi from a fellow BCA member and that Fluval now has; "reserved for Anthony's beautiful crs's " on it:bigsmile:
So..........now back to my original request. I am looking for ideas from the "nano experts" on this thread as to which fish to put into my spec v.
I am ruling out kilies as I currently have four different species of killies housed in four ten gallon tanks, so any other smaller fish suggestions would be welcomed. "geealexg", you have posted several f your beautiful nano tanks :cool:.....do you have an ideas for an easy-to-maintain nano tank. I currently have the tank conditioned and running with a few common endlers and some healthy wendala growing on nice small pieces of wood. Also have upgraded led lighting on the way :bigsmile:
If you want shoaling/schooling fish, I personally put small rasbora or danio species like Sundadanio sp. (Neon Blue/Green Rasbora), Microdevario sp. (Lime Green Kubotai Rasbora), Boraras sp. (Three-Spot Rasbora, Phoenix Rasbora, Chili/Mosquito Rasbora, Strawberry Rasbora, etc.), or even Celesichthys sp. (Emerald Dwarf Danio, Celestial Pearl Danio). I also find that small rainbowfish like Gertrudae and Threadfin Rainbows or tiny tetras like Ember Tetra, Green Neons, and Ruby Tetra do fine with the Fluval Spec tanks. If you are looking for a bigger challenge, Badis species can do great if you cultivate your own live food (daphnia, brine shrimp, microworms, etc.)

To make it easy to maintain with higher livestock bioloads, make sure you use extra biomedia (Seachem Matrix, Eheim Substrat Pro, Fluval Rings, etc.) and the addition of purigen in the Fluval Spec V filter compartment slots. I really love that "sump system" that is integrated very well in the Fluval Spec kits.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I take the charcoal out and add another bio rings in .
My Darios and tiny fish I feed some decamp brine eggs to be sure they eat in the beginning . The darios will pick at flake etc eventually.
Pygmy cories go well in the spec also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Thanks April and "geealexg" for all of the ideas/suggestions �� I had thought that danios would be a good choice. Pretty easy to keep and a great variety of species to choose from. As far as "cultivating" my own live foods.....I do hatch brine shrimp daily for my killies, so I have the bbs available to feed my nano fish �� Thanks for the reminder of added biomedia. I will definitely take into consideration some of the median you two have suggested. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Couldn't help myself :) I was at King Ed today picking an external breeding trap and I wandered downstairs and saw some nice zebra danios....long and short, after some quick bargaining with Jui, I walked out with 1/2 dozen.....I am presently conditioning them into my Fluva spec V :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Whoops :eek:....I was fortunate enough last night to scoop another beautiful Fluval Ebi from another good BCA member :bigsmile: So....... now I have another nano to "populate" :) I/m trying to decide whether to go with another species/colour of shrimp or do some smaller fish...hmmmmmmm.....nice "dilema" to be in :cool: Not looking for any suggestions or feedback. Just thought I'd share.....

61 - 80 of 80 Posts