British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive heard of people feeding the worms from their vermicomposting or live fruitflies to their cichlids.
Im wondering a) is this good for them and B) which live food (if any) is both good for the fish and easy/cheap to cultivate at home with fruit/veggy scraps etc?

ive got some Acei and yellow lab malawi mbuna's that i mostly feed new life spectrum cichlid formula with some PE mysis shrimp for a treat on the weekends and after reading about all the people growing worms and flies and whatnot was debating replacing the mysis shrimp with something homegrown.

do any of you grow your own cichlid food and what do you use? what is easiest/cheapest/best for the fish?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, at the moment I dont have any spare aquariums since my wife doesnt want the living room to "look like a fish farm" in her words.
It needs to be something I can do on the balcony.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I've been trying to get something done like that too!
Unfortunately, shipping for red wigglers is INSANE compared to the states!
I think it's around $68 a lb of red wigglers to get a good culture started!
But definitely dun need that many, but if someone wants to split, sure, I'm willing to try myself!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've been trying to get something done like that too!
Unfortunately, shipping for red wigglers is INSANE compared to the states!
I think it's around $68 a lb of red wigglers to get a good culture started!
But definitely dun need that many, but if someone wants to split, sure, I'm willing to try myself!
they can be found locally for much much cheaper, I got a half pound delivered for 20 bucks.
look online they are there (just cant remember the name of the supplier I got off of)

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have a crazy colony of red wigglers. It a takes awhile to get them at sustainable numbers but once they are established they dont quit.
There are many great online instruction guides to setting them up and feeding instructions.
I use a big rubbermaid tote (well actually 2 including the drain pan). Mine ate half a watermelon last week. these worms are voracious.

·
Registered
743 Posts
all the vegetable matter contains water so as the worms break it down the liquid is seperated.
I use 2 rubbermaid tote containers, one is drilled with very small holes to allow excess water to drain out into the second container, which is dumped out into the garden every couple weeks.
You have probably noticed that rubbermaid totes (any totes really), stack inside each other. the one with the holes sits inside the one with no holes. the top one also has holes in the lid to allow air movement.
this keeps the soil damp but not soaking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts