British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting 5-6 of the dwarf cory cat's to stock a fluval 6 gallon edge .... but having a hard time deciding what the best one would be between:

Corydoras pygmaeus
Corydoras hastatus
Corydoras habrosus

If you have any advice that would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I also debated this exact thing when I was trying to figure which species to get.

- Hastatus seem to be pretty hard to find locally, haven't seen them yet
- Habrosus are supposed to be the smallest
- Pygmaeus are somewhat shy and better in bigger groups (based on what my friend's experience)

I choose habrosus because they are smaller and I like their patterns, plus they do hang around in places where I can see them. I don't think you can go wrong with all three though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
All the corys I have ever had dart up to the surface to gulp air, this will be difficult in a Fluval Edge if you have it completely filled with water.

Something to consider.

Cheers,
Sean

Reactions: wslam and Dou

·
Registered
20 Posts
Recommendations for stocking really depends on size of the fish, but on average 6-8 for the F.E. tank seems to be the max.
Fighting fish or guppies wouldn't be a problem .
People are stocking their tanks with everything from guppies to clowns.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have 10 pygmaeus from April and I love them. They school together and are always playing around mid level. Sometimes they hide, but I find most of mine always out and about. Can't go wrong with any of them though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think 12 is too many for your tank as well. My 10 cories are in a 10 gallon with some RCS as tank mates and that's it. They need lots of room if you want them to be able to swim and school around. In your case, I would go with 6 cories of one species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Aqadvisor is a nice tool, but shouldn't be the only source when choosing fish. But even when I inputted your proposed stock into Aqadvisor, it says they're not suitable for the Fluval Edge and a 10 gallon minimum was what I found after playing around with the numbers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.