British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 - 4 young BN pleco spawns on the way. Just wondering what others have found to be the best food for these young vegetarians?

Thx

·
Registered
517 Posts
https://ca-en.hagen.com/BUGBITES

I like this sinking stick insect based food, my babies seem to do really well on it. Doesn't seem to pollute the water too bad.I also try to cultivate a layer of algae on some small (2 gallon) tanks before I put in the cave with the spawn and when the fry leave the cave, ready made food. Not necessary, and sometimes the male takes it all, but I still try. Also, Ken's fish has some sinking catfish mini sticks that hold up well and are a great food. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I'll second what Molly's has listed. These foods will be taken in quickly and you'll notice the growth,activity,and even breeding behaviour down the line. All of my plecos and cats seem way more lively with live foods as well. Can't go wrong with the algae wafers either but variety goes a long way.

https://ca-en.hagen.com/BUGBITES

I like this sinking stick insect based food, my babies seem to do really well on it. Doesn't seem to pollute the water too bad.I also try to cultivate a layer of algae on some small (2 gallon) tanks before I put in the cave with the spawn and when the fry leave the cave, ready made food. Not necessary, and sometimes the male takes it all, but I still try. Also, Ken's fish has some sinking catfish mini sticks that hold up well and are a great food. Good luck.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, great suggestions. I am trying to feed a variety to help them along. So far they have done well on Spectrum algea wafers, but I want to change it up a bit.

It's my first time with plecos so I want to get a routine set-up as I have 3 BN varieties right now all with eggs and / or fry.

I have had success with gelling pellet food for omnivore and carnivore fry so I think I will give a veggie version a try.

If BCA folks have other ideas - much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hikari,New life spectrum, Tetra lines are other available foods. Obviously sinking pellets or small granules will suffice.Live or dry Black worms are a huge plus with nutrients galore. Bloodworms are another, but I personally don't rely on them often. Some of the sponsors here have access to black worms in many variations.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I haven't personally had a chance to try it out, but I've heard blanched vegetables (specifically cucumber and zucchini) are an option as well

·
Registered
517 Posts
Don't forget to put a small piece of driftwood in there with the fry. Ken's catfish sticks actually have incorporated hard wood, a good thing for keeping their digestion going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts