British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on changing my 75G setup to a planted one. I have very little experience with planted tanks. I've only ever had java moss/fern which don't require alot of care. To make a long story short I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a good substrate? I'm planning on housing a group of Rainbow snakeheads if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was told eco-complete substrate is very rich in minerals and is helpful to have with plants... It goes for $1+ per pound usually...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
eco-complete is a good one for planted tanks...
mixs well with florite substrate....

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
If you're not going to plant too much in the substrate, I wouldn't even bother with special substrates. You can do java fern, crypts and anubias and even Vals. The Vals and crypts need to be rooted, but the fern and anubias can be attached to wood and rocks. These plants will all grow in lower light, so they'll be easy for a beginner in planted tanks to get started on.

If you want to go high light/CO2/carpet plants, then yes, I'd consider Eco-complete, Flourite, or Florabase.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Schultz's pond soil

I'm planning on changing my 75G setup to a planted one. I have very little experience with planted tanks. I've only ever had java moss/fern which don't require alot of care. To make a long story short I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a good substrate? I'm planning on housing a group of Rainbow snakeheads if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!
Schultz's pond soil isn't soil at all, but a baked ceramic that appears to be a somewhat lighter grade; works for me and is available at Rona for 10. a bag. You usually have to look for it and the sales people usually don't know where it is and move it around. Right now it should be in the pond section.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts