British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that it would be cool to start a thread on our favourite cheap eats in Vancouver. I've got some favourites that I frequent, but it would be great to expand the horizons a bit. A hate to "roll the dice" on restaurants, so I can't wait to find out your favourite places to eat in the Lower Mainland for $10 or less.

I'll start it off...

X-Site Bar and Grill, 4625 Hastings, Burnaby: $5.99 steak night (drink required) on Monday has to be the best deal around, not just because it's cheap, but because the meal is actually better than steak dinners I've been happy to throw down $20 for.

Chili Pepper House, Corner of Kingsway and Rupert: Great lunch special from 11:30 to 2:30. For $6.15 taxes included you get a good sized entree and a can of pop. There's a list of 20 or so options, all Indian/Chinese food.

Prayag Raj, Corner of Joyce and Kingsway: Unassuming Indian restaurant that specializes in Gujurati food. Unassuming is a bit of an understatement, but their food is absolutely incredible. It's a vegetarian buffet that is run by an elderly Indian woman who cooks up fresh naan and roti. The buffet is $8 taxes in. Seriously, check this place out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hmm. Take Sushi would be the one off the top of my mind. Close to the corner of Willingdon and Hastings. There combos are a great price, with the regular teriyaki box at $8.99 (both lunch and dinner). They're great at teriyaki (not too sweet) and tempura, with good sushi as well. Not like a LOT of the sushi places out there for the same price; this place actually uses good, fresh fish.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Stepho's. Greek restaurant on Davie St. Not one meal on the menu over $10, including lamb souvlaki, and big portions. You'll wait in line for 45 mins before getting a table, but totally worth it. Or, go with 4 friends and make a reservation. They don't take reservations under 5 people. Such good food, best greek I have had this side of Greece.

Also, Thai House on Robson. Great lunch special for like $8. Not sure dinner cost as I have only been there for lunch. Also really good food.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good to hear as I like to eat out a lot....I'll try the vegetarian indian place.....sound good.
I myself am a Subway man...can we mention that....Amelia's on 12 St and 7th Ave in New West has some great food for under the tenner. And Thirsty Duck on 12 st and 6th is also very good. Under the 10 ... not including beer....lol

·
Registered
773 Posts
My fav fish and chips, yes I know I eat fish. Is in North van at the Que (can't spell) in the food court at Montgomery fish and chips. I will worn though they are thin pieces just the way I like them. Trust me I know my fish and chips.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Glad to get some responses, I'm going to check these places out!

I'll check out that fish and chips spot, I've been looking for a good one. I'm an East-Coaster spoiled by Maxwell's Plum and the like in Halifax ;)

Prayag Raj usually looks closed by the way. It's right beside the CIBC. Great food! They do take-out plates too.

·
Registered
695 Posts
McDonald fast food

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If you like Japanese Food (not sushi) then this place wins hands down!

Hi Genki
6680 Southoaks Crescent Burnaby, BC V5E 4N3

Get "Spicy Karagae Don" as that is a classic dish there and also the one that sells most. They also have authentic Japanese food and its really cheap. I get one bowl for $7.95 and I get full. Not many places out that that give me a tasty food that can fill me up AND be under $10

My other fav is Antons Pasta near Hastings. Avg price there is around $14, but its the best pasta ever. I think they have over 50 different types to choose from.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Subway?
Compete the rest of this sentence:
Subway, eat ....

I don't eat out a lot but if you like chinese food, there are lots of small places in Richmond where you can have a good meal for $10 or less. Or there are some Vietnames places for their "Pho" soup. There is a Vietnamese restaurant very close by my place and we go there regularly and eat the Pho and spring roll combo for $8.50.

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
I love Sushi Oyama (across the street from KFC) just West of Kingsway & Royal Oak. It looks fancy on the outside, its very nicely decorated on the inside, the food is delicious, looks great & big portions, but with a small price. Most entrees are under $10 & their Dynamite roll has 2 prawn tempuras in it & is delicious.

For fish & chips we go to C-lovers in Coquitlam ($10.99 per person but all you can eat & includes a bottomless pop).

For Vietnamese, we like Pho99 near Lougheed & North Rd. in Coquitlam.

·
Registered
807 Posts
McDeez is barely under $10 any more. :D
I like the Bottle Tipper on Kingsway & Victoria.
If you want a real burger for the same price as you'll pay @ McDeez just walk across the street.
They have daily deals too(food & booze).
I luv their Honey sambal wings, sweet & spicy!!!
THe yam fries are to die for, fresh cut!!!
If anyone from this hood is curious, it used to be the old E&B, which changed into the Candybar.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Vera's Burger Shack. Well $10-12 or a combo. Great atmosphere, televised sports in most places, AWESOME (never frozen) burgers including turkey and lamb burgers. As well as veggie burgers, which are so convincing sometimes customers mistake them for a beef burger.

Yes I used to work there lol but hey... I ate Vera Burgers 4x a week and never gained a pound! They have won a few consumers choice awards, can't think of them off the top of my head.

Locations all over the GVRD.

...Oh! And they have YAM FRIES :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
Vera's Burger Shack. Well $10-12 or a combo. Great atmosphere, televised sports in most places, AWESOME (never frozen) burgers including turkey and lamb burgers. As well as veggie burgers, which are so convincing sometimes customers mistake them for a beef burger.

Yes I used to work there lol but hey... I ate Vera Burgers 4x a week and never gained a pound! They have won a few consumers choice awards, can't think of them off the top of my head.

Locations all over the GVRD.

...Oh! And they have YAM FRIES :D
I luv Vera's burgers!!!
Th G-Money burger is my fave!!!

I prefer Splitz sometimes over Vera's but, both are very close in taste.
The burger I get @ Splitz is $20 tho.
:eek:

Since we're on burgers...
Tomohawks have some crazy @$$ burgers too.
A burger with a fired egg & a sausage. :eek:
I always go for the breakfast, but I always notice ppl eating the crazy burgers too.
Next time I'm getting a burger.
:D

As for Pho..
I like Pho Van on Fraser & Kingsway, Thai Son on Broadway just off Kingsway/Main.
Chau on Robson is great!!!(not $10 but they have a fusion of new school & Old school).
The best spring rolls I've ever had.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts